Response to the Watchtower's Coptic John 1:1 claim in academic journal

by slimboyfat 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

A couple of years ago the Watchtower published an article claiming the Coptic version of John 1:1 supported their translation of John 1:1.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/165941/1/Coptic-John-1-1-makes-it-into-the-Watchtower

A few months ago this article was published in The Journal of Theological Studies apparently in response to the Watchtower's claims.

http://jts.oxfordjournals.org/content/62/2/494.abstract

The authors are from the Dallas Theological Seminary, which seems to have something of a tradition when it comes to countering Watchtower claims on John 1:1.

They argue unsurprisingly that the Coptic of John 1:1 can be read in an orthodox way. Perhaps a little more surprisingly for an academic journal are the pejorative terms they use to describe the alternative JW reading of the text. They conclude by stating: "The other New Testament references we examined do not support the concept of some in-between category of 'sort-of god' or 'lesser divine god'." I don't think such language does them any favours, and the article as a whole seems surprisingly weak for inclusion in an academic journal. On a brief google search I have not been able to find out much about the authors except that Brian Wright has published other more informal refutations of JW views on various websites.

http://bible.org/byauthor/216/brian_j_wright

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Interesting, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You are welcome Leolaia. If you have any thoughts on the article it would be interesting to hear them.

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

You are correct. I have read the entire JTS article and it is not objective. It basically follows the same tactic as Daniel Wallace (also of Dallas Theological Seminary) in his book, Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics. It is heavy on theology where one would expect objective grammatical analysis. It is too specifically biased against Jehovah's Witnesses.

The authors do not display any more than a minimal grasp of Coptic grammar. They do not go beyond the same mistakes made by Hommel and other Trinitarians in misapplying the different categories of Coptic nouns. They confuse idioms with regular Coptic syntax. Their examination of the way the Coptic noun NOYTE ("god") is used in the Bible is too narrow to be definitive.

The recent effort on the part of some scholars to see John 1:1c as qualitative does not really help the Trinitarian argument, which is based on a definite reading. That means they have to twist their "qualitative" reading into a definite one.

For a Witness response to the JTS article, see:

http://coptictextcrit.blogspot.com/2011/10/is-coptic-john-11c-primarily.html

• Mebaqqer2
    Mebaqqer2

I found this to be a most interesting and informative article. However, I have reservations that it will in any way affect the way Jehovah's Witnesses cite Coptic translations in support of their translation ‘a god' for the anarthorous θε?ς in John 1:1c and may in fact be co-opted to serve their argument. My reason for this is based on the article's extensive use of the words ‘quality' and ‘qualitative' throughout. Note how the article concludes:

"We propose that the best way to take the indefinite article in John 1:1c is as an attempt by the Copts to interpret the anarthrous θε?ς descriptively/qualitatively. As a result, they interpreted and translated John 1.1c to mean that ‘the Word' possesses the same qualities as ‘the God of the Bible'."
    -Brian J. Wright and Tim Ricchuiti, "From ‘God' (ΘΕΟΣ) to ‘God' (ΝΟΥΤ?): A New Discussion and Proposal Regarding John 1:1c and the Sahidic Coptic Version of the New Testament," The Journal of Theological Studies 62/2 (2011): 511

Compare this against what Jehovah's Witnesses state in their publications:

"[Colossians 2:9] show[s] that Christ has in him all the fullness, not of God himself, the Deity, the Godhead, but of the divine quality dwelling bodily."
    -"Questions from the Readers," The Watchtower (August 1, 1962): 480.

"Jesus as ‘a god' merely reflects his Father's divine qualities"
    -Reasoning From the Scriptures, rev. ed. (Brooklyn: Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, 1989): 416.

"What qualities would you respect the most in a leader? Courage? Wisdom? Compassion? What about perseverance in the face of hardship? As you study the record of Jesus' life course on earth, you will find that he possessed those qualities-and more. The perfect reflection of his heavenly Father, Jesus possessed every divine quality in full measure. He was all that a perfect human could be."
    -Come Be My Follower (Brooklyn: Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, 2007), 9.

While the article no doubt intends to argue through its use of the word ‘qualitative' as a grammatical term that the indefinite article in the Coptic translation of John 1:1c serves to indicate that the Copts' interpreted this verse to mean that the Word was endowed with those ‘qualities' that are inherent to the very nature of God, one can well imagine that the Watchtower Society will care little about what Wright and Ricchuiti actually intended by their use of this word and imbue it with their own meaning so as to give the impression that this article fully agrees with the representational Christology of Jehovah's Witnesses. One should remember that this is exactly what happened to the article Qualitative Anarthrous Predicate Nouns: Mark 15:39 and John 1:1 by Philip B. Harner which, although explicitly arguing against an indefinite translation of ‘a god' in John 1:1c, was co-opted due to Harner's use of the term ‘qualitative' by the Watchtower Society to update their justification for the translation ‘a god' for the 1984 revision of the New World Translation. Because the present article specifically states that "Our purpose . . . is to apply the results of our Coptic study to this debate [of the meaning of John 1:1c] to see how this early version sheds light on the history of interpretation and potentially helps one translate and interpret these verses" ("From ‘God' (ΘΕΟΣ) to ‘God' (ΝΟΥΤ?)": 508) and connects this with the translation ‘a god' of the New World Translation, one would have hoped that the authors would have been more cautious and better defined what they meant by ‘qualitative' so that others could cite that definition once this article is co-opted in order to demonstrate the misuse of this article. As it stands, the Watchtower will publish something like this, which will then be cut and pasted without any further thought all over the internet:

In defense of the unscriptural teaching of the Trinity, some have sought to assail the New World Translation published by Jehovah's Witnesses. Is there any validity to the claims of those making such assaults? In discussing the criticisms of Bruce Metzger to the rendering ‘a god' in John 1:1, one recent article noted that "His primary argument in both noted publications congregated around Greek grammar (i.e. Colwell's Rule); it remains a popular argument today. But scholars have shown the need for clarification, adequately demonstrating why that argument leaves much to be desired". This same article goes on to note that early Coptic translations of John 1:1 contain an indefinite article for the word God here in the same manner as the New World Translation and concludes by stating that "the best way to take the indefinite article in John 1:1c is as an attempt by the Copts to interpret the anarthrous θε?ς descriptively/qualitatively. As a result, they interpreted and translated John 1.1c to mean that ‘the Word' possesses the same qualities as ‘the God of the Bible'"". These ancient translators thus evidently saw the truth of what John intended here and thus agree with the appendix of the New World Translation which states "John's statement that the Word or Logos was ‘a god' or ‘divine' or ‘godlike' does not mean that he was the God with whom he was. It merely expresses a certain quality about the Word, or Logos, but it does not identify him as one and the same as God himself". One can thus clearly see how the attacks of Christendom fall flat before Scriptural truths. (Apologies for not better imitating their material, but you get the drift)

At any rate, thanks for informing me, and everyone else, about this article. One thing is certain, it is definitely more fuel for the fire.

????
    Mebaqqer

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

rmnnoute are you Solomon Landers by any chance? Or do you know him? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer on the forum.

In connection with the Coptic of John 1:1 I made an interesting discovery about a year ago at the Kingdom Hall. They have a pretty extensive library locally, and I noticed it included a book called (something like) The Gospel of John in the Coptic Dialect of Upper Egypt. And it had comment on the text pointing out the translation of John 1:1. I have no idea who added this to the library or when they wrote the note, but my guess is that the writing is probably a few decades old. So it seems that at least some JWs have long been aware that the Coptic of John 1:1 can be used to support the NWT translation of John 1:1.

I am attending a course on Sahidic Coptic at the moment, but I am at a very early stage.

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

There is a real problem in assuming that the 2nd/3rd century Coptic Christians had any modern theology in mind when they did their translating. Certainly the doctrine of the Trinity as we know it today was not standardized then, nor univerally accepted, and the same Egypt that produced Athanasius also produced Arius. But it would be incorrect to put the Coptic translators on either side. The Sahidic Coptic version displays nothing but a rather literal translation of the Greek text(s) that were available at the time.

Thus, we cannot assume that the Coptic translation of John 1:1c has any Trinitarian context.

Coptic scholar Bentley Layton, in his grammar book Coptic in 20 Lessons (2007) , page 7, gives an indefinite literal reading to Coptic John 1:1c, not a qualitative one: "a god is the Word." In his larger grammar book, A Coptic Grammar (2004), page 227, Layton shows that (depending on context) the Coptic indefinite article - common noun construction, such as found at Coptic John 1:1c, can be translated as "a god" (indefinite) or as "divine" (qualitative, although Coptic grammar does not use this term for nouns, and "adjectival" or "denotative" are the proper Coptic terms).

Such are the grammatical issues. Theological issues are more nebulous and should not be confused with the grammatical ones.

However, it may be noted that Jehovah's Witnesses have no problem with seeing John 1:1c as "qualitative," so long as the normal, regular, dictionary definition of that term is adhered to. Trinitarians, however, keep trying to morph "qualitative" into a definite reading and meaning of the verse. That is where the distinction lies.

I would encourage any student of Sahidic Coptic to spend the time it takes to read the entire Sahidic Coptic New Testament, to see how the Copts understood their Greek texts, and the grammar they employed in doing so. It is not really sufficient to frame the topic as one between Jehovah's Witnesses and Trinitarians.

• Terry
    Terry

All of this assumes an objective true truth beyond all the analysis!

Perhaps not, however. Or, to put it another way: not so fast!

1.John 1:1 is not math and has no quantitative or referential application to a known.

2. We can equally assume or deny any emanuensis from heaven guiding the words.

3.The author may have been steeped in Greek philosophy or simply poetic and metaphorical.

4.Any discussion of this text demands PRESUPPOSITION and none can be definitively correct beyond assumption.

Somebody wrote something and meant something or other. But, did they KNOW anything? Were they assuming something?

Theologians assume a GIVEN: this is totally inspired communication referencing a fixed and absolute reality.

Sure. But, not likely.

So, this particular topic of discussion seems to be more about the professionalism or lack of same by the Dallas theologians in refuting Watchtower

gymnastics in supporting their own presuppositions.

To my weary eyes, this is a food fight in the cafeteria and all it does is leave a big mess.

Sorry to intrude.

• designs
    designs

The Coptic Orthodox Church has a slightly different take on Jesus than the Greek Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox and the RCC. It would be of value to find what the earliest Egyptian and African Christians believed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Certainly the doctrine of the Trinity as we know it today was not standardized then, nor univerally accepted, and the same Egypt that produced Athanasius also produced Arius.

A fair point, but I believe that an early strand of theological tradition in Alexandria (well before the fourth century dispute) as exemplified by Clement of Alexandria and Origen (who spoke of Jesus as deuteros theos - a second god) was deeply subordinationist. In that context it is not difficult to imagine that the Sahidic Coptic translation of John 1:1 reflects a similar position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit