Children not raised as JWs - an 'out of the mouths of Babe's moment

by skeeter1 12 Replies latest jw friends

• glueman
    glueman

What a strong and deep subject this brings up. Sadly so many JW's are apathetic to the true needs of others and this world we live in, ironically while complaining of an apathetic territory.

I remember one instance where I met someone at the door and they said that the org had so much power to do true good to people. Imagine what a mass amount of practical good 7 million united people could do. As a group and individually they could contribute to a better place RIGHT NOW and not sit idly waiting on someone else, divine or not, to do the work.

To me, having a "ministry" means to minister...seems simple right? Minister is to "attend to the needs of others" or is "the act of serving".

When JW's limit that term to teaching a doctrine it falls so short of what being Christ-like should be.

The last couple of years when I was going out "in the ministry" (there it is again) I changed my whole format. I stopped pushing mags/books/studies and tried to truly listen to people about their lives, families, jobs, etc. I developed caring relationships with others while trying to do what I could to serve them and attend to their needs. Of course I was counseled about not carrying a bible or literature, not having proper focus, blah blah. While by no means trying to elevate myself above others, I can think of many instances where simply giving a kind word, bringing flowers, helping the elderly, etc. brought me great joy. We are supposed to do that to ALL we can, right?

I have brought people into the organization and at the time it did feel good, but it is so much better when you can give practical help to humanity and try, in whatever small way possible, to make a difference to people and the world.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Coolest thing I've heard a days! Good for you AND her!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Thank goodness that u raised your kids out of the defeatist mentality of the Witnesses. This was a major #1 complaint of a co-worker, who's best friend in High school became a JW. They still stay friends, she visited the KH a few times, but she cannot deal with the completley defeatist mindset of JW's. Don't do anything to make the world, yourself, or others better off. Don't bother trying as it's just like re-arranging chairs on the Titannic. Remember all those articles that spoke of a dying company, furniture is getting moved out, and the company is telling u, that u have a long future there. How it's the same in the world?

Sounds like u are a great Dad and I hope your kids maintains such a willingness to help others outside of her own personal beliefs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit