Just How Self-Centered Are JWs?

by Room 215 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Room 215
    Room 215

I just received a brochure from a midwestern travel agency operated by JWs that specialized in Bethel tours. I found this excerpt, relating to one item on the itinerary, as visit toe the Holoccaust Museum in Washington quite interesting: "The museum is dedicated to presenting the story of how more than 30,000 Jehovah's Witnesses were persecuted by the Nazis."

Apparently the tour operators consider the slaugther of more than 6 million Jews unworthy of mention! Not even a footnote....

• blondie
    blondie

jws are very ethnocentric....when there's a disaster, tsuanami, earthquake, hurricane, they rush to find out how jws are affected, not non-jws. The rank and file start praying for the brothers and sisters although they make up on 1% of the victims and survivors. The WTS tells them that only baptized jws will survive Armageddon, and except for a twinge of concern about a non-jw parent, spouse or child, the eternal destruction of the rest of humanity is deserved.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea they really only look out for themselves. Rarely pay attention to day to day events unless it directly affects them or the organization. I remember a news item years back. Part of a bridge fell during construction on a freeway overpass, striking a car and killing it's driver. There was silence among the JW's I knew over this story. Once word got out that a brother was killed, oh my God, u should have heard the screams for justice. I made a few enemies by simply asking, "This guy was killed weeks ago, why didn't it matter then?"

• wobble
    wobble

See the 1933 letter to Hitler from Rutherford, you will see there the support he claims for the Nazis at that point, I wonder when, if ever, they first published something condemning the Nazi atrocities, not just for killing Bible Students (as they were still known in Germany till after the war I think) ?

• Robert7
    Robert7

This was one of my final straws that completely broke the dissonance buildup in my head. Like many I had doubts and many issues bubbling to the point of breaking. My final meeting I remember a brother commenting on the brothers in WWII. I could not justify in my head how we can focus on the ~20K people who died vs the 6+ million Jews who died. Combine that with excessive Governing Body worship during the last prayer, and my mind broke free. I joined JWN that night!

• Room 215
    Room 215

... nor do they ever mention that including that the Nazi lumped a significant number of the Russelite Bible Student "standfasters" who split over the WT over the Rutherford takeover with the the JWs in the "Purple Triangle" category.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are so self-centered that, when they move to a foreign country, all they research is what witlesses are doing in that country. I can think of many good reasons to want to move to another country. But, this is totally the wrong reason.

Supposing, for instance, you are really interested in moving from Great Britain to New Zealand. There are good reasons for doing this. But, which is going to affect you most, that they really need help in the congregations? Is that going to help you get a job (or start a business)? Is this going to be conducive to your health or lack thereof? You might be interested in getting out of the constant drizzle and fog into more sunshine (and harder rain when it does come down). You might be interested in getting out from under a developing tyranny. You might wish to start a business. But, you need to research these issues. If you just pack up and go based solely on knowing where the need is greater, there is a good chance that either you are going to get deported or turned back at the airport, you are not going to fit in, or you will be spending so much time settling in that you will never be able to spend any time preaching anyways.

Make sure of the real more important things--the witlesses are but one facet of life. You need first to make sure you are able to sustain yourself, and that the environment is to your liking. And, if you find that the witlesses are being persecuted in the new country, find out why--is there a good reason like welshing on a major issue or protecting pedophiles and silencing victims?

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

I am sure that I am going to get flamed for this.....BUT

I have to say that this WAS a brochure that was presented specifically to JW's and a tour that is focused 100% on the JW faith. It is called advertising. They were targeting their audience (JW's) and appealing to the senses of those that would be going on this trip. When it comes to taking a trip to Bethel, most go to be spiritually strengthened. Of course the travel agency would want to focus on the fact that JW's that lost their lives because of standing up for what they believe in.

I am not arguing the fact that JW's focus on what THEY have done for THEIR followers in times of need. That is one thing that has frustrated me for a long time. They pray for those in the faith to be helped, but fail to leave out the rest of those that were affected by what ever tragedy struck them. When a tornado struck Joplin, MO this last summer, the closing prayer focused on those were affected by this storm that were brothers in the faith. I remember talking to my hubby after meeting that day as I had a hard time with the fact that not one thing was mentioned about the thousands of others whose lives were affected by the storm. Just one more thing that has changed the way I view the organization.

I'm just saying.....

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The Universe Revolves around JW`s..

Look at Me..

I`m a JW..... I`m Special..

Your all going to Die..So There!..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

confuzzled, we have matching ears. Aw!

and except for a twinge of concern about a non-jw parent, spouse or child,

That's okay, my mom has already informed me that in the new system she will forget all about me. All better!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit