"Hospitality"?

by NCO 15 Replies latest jw friends

• NCO
    NCO

Had to meet my parents not too long ago for some family business and while working out the time for that Sunday, they said they had the meeting and then following the meeting they had "hospitality" for an hour or so.

Now I've been out for going on 20 years and somewhat out of the loop. Needless to say I've never heard of that. So what exactly is it? I've been to other churches where they have the sanctuary and then the fellowship hall where the members go and eat after the service. I know KH's don't have "fellowship halls" so hopefully someone can explain this to me.

• N.drew
    N.drew

"Hospitality" means they feed the visiting speaker and family. I think.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I think N.Drew is correct, that would be their privilege. . .

• NCO
    NCO

Gotcha. I didn't realize they had an official name for it now.

• N.drew
    N.drew

NCO nice to see you posting! Are you posting from your place in the service?

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Yes, hospitality is when they either bring food for the visiting speaker, have them and their family over for a meal, or take them out to eat.

I've seen plenty of speakers take advantage of this, however... Instead of bringing just themselves and their immediate family, I have seen speakers bring other members of their congregation as well...and those who sign up for hospitality are expected to pay/provide for these, too! I experienced this firsthand when an elder in our congregation had an outgoing talk. His wife invited my ex and I along to spend the day with them. I didn't know that the congregation would be providing hospitality for this brother and his wife because the brother never said so. When the couple hosting saw that it was four people and not the expected two, they were visibly nervous. We went out to a restaurant and I felt like I was imposing. I ordered something small and we tried to pay for ourselves, but the couple we were with would have none of it...they said it was part of "hospitality". I didn't feel right about it then, and I still don't. I felt like it was a terrible imposition to expect these people to pay twice what they originally thought.

Then there are those who sign up to provide hospitality and then take the cheap way out and just give the speaker a small food item. I've seen a bookstudy group sign up for it, and all they did was pool their money and buy the guy a cake to take home with him. It was almost as if they were saying "Here...take your cake and screw".

The whole idea behind being hospitable is enjoying someone's company over a meal or even just coffee. It's about getting to know someone, welcoming them, thanking them, etc. It's not an excuse for the ones being hosted to bring every Tom, Dick, or Harry with them and expect them to be paid for as well, and it's also not right for the family hosting to just give them a gift card or a fruit basket and send them on their merry way.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

When I lived in a metro area we didn't have the hospitality arrangement, most speakers lived 10 minutes away. When we moved to a rural area, some speakers traveled 1-2 hours to a congregation within the circuit. Some congregations have no restaurants nearby, so frequently a bookstudy would have a potluck arrangement after the meeting, it was the only way a visiting speaker would have ANY meal.

It was also a great way to meet singles in rural areas. The speaker and his wife would brings along a single person. The single doesn't feel as conspicuous and they have a free ride, meal, and meet and great at a distant hall.

I filled in a couple of times last minute, the day after a mouthy abusive Elder with a big family was removed. I was not expected, and I found out NOT everyone is invited to hospitality....we had to find an open Burger King before driving home for 1 1/2 hrs.

Pleasant experience at most halls. Some halls in hillbilly land..not so much....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do you mean that when the KH meeting ends, people just exist? What is wrong with a pot of coffee, iced tea, and cheap cookies? Agape meals!

• Scully
    Scully

While growing up I remember our family was asked to invite a visiting Speaker™ and his family over for lunch after the Sunday Meeting™. Without being told who it was, and anxious to accept whatever Privileges™ were offered, my dad agreed.

Turned out to be one of those families who are so frikkin' strange that nobody wanted to be around them. Their several kids were absolute animals, without any table manners at all, and the parents weren't much better. We were so accustomed to having a relaxing enjoyable meal, but this time as soon as the word "Amen" came out of my dad's mouth, it was a bloody free-for-all grab fest by the visiting kids, with the parents doing absolutely nothing to control their brats. It was a simple meal of soup with cold cuts, cheese, bread and condiments for sandwiches, but it looked like crime scene after they left.

I think that was the first and last time my folks welcomed any visiting Speakers™ or their families to come over for a meal. My mother put the skids to it after that family left. I think my parents were beyond gobsmacked by the horrid behaviour we had all witnessed.

• Mary
    Mary

OMG Scully.....You promised me you'd never tell anyone about that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit