I know this is late but I'm happy to announce that this year I finally celebrated my first thanksgiving!!!

by OneDayillBeFree 6 Replies latest jw friends

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

It was truly great! It was work related so a lot of people from work were there but I had a great time! Almost everybody brought some kind of food and we ate at my friends a coworker's house!

It was all so warm and fuzzy! People were telling their life's stories and jokes and it was honestly the best fun I've had in a while!

Unlike jw "gatherings" I didn't have to start speaking about how great the meetings were or the last watchtower study or how happifying field service was! Basically, I was my self and people didn't treat me different! Such a strange feeling still since its relatively new to me, being a born in and whatnot.

What made me a little sad was seeing my coworkers bringing their families and friends over while I came alone... But It was fun nonetheless.

The funny thing is that we also had a pot luck the day before at work and everybody digged in... Even another worker who is a Believing JW! I always try to avoid seeing him or being around him as he's always trying to talk about some spiritual crap trying to count his time. So this time when they told me to get my food I was a little scared that he would see me and say something to the elders since he knows my congregation, but to my amazement when I got to the table to serve, he passed me bye with not one but two plates full of food! I looked at him and he just looked at me, with this stare that said, "if you dont say anything, I wont say anything either", cleared his throat, said hello and rushed to his seat! I was like wow!

So yup! First thanksgiving and it was awesome! Hope yours was great as well!

Now I just wonder how Chrismas will be...

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yaye! Glad you had a good time!!

• Think About It
    Think About It

That is awesome! One holiday at a time my friend.

Think About It

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

We had Thanksgiving at our house for several years with no problems--even inviting my father (elder) and mother. We just didn't call it Thanksgiving even though my father was usually asked to say say the blessing. Our excuse was: turkeys and cranberries are on sale, we have the day off from work, and come over for dinner. I will admit, the last time my father said a prayer at Thanksgiving (before his death) made a comment in the prayer that we don't celebrate worldly holidays.

The other holidays are another matter.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And maybe Christmas will be next. I know it is too risky to do a glitzy Christmas if you have witlesses living in your midst or are constantly looking to make sure you don't have a tree that they can see. But, there are a few things you can do with much less risk. And one of them is to actually enjoy the music instead of dreading it this year.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas OneDayillBeFree!! I hope and pray that you can successfully fade and start enjoying life.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and a festive Festivus to you. Thanks for sharing your joy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit