Private Property?

by Yan Bibiyan 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Regarding private property, I keep asking a question about field service. If your area has a sidewalk, it probably is public property. It gets confusing b/c in some state's owners have liability for accidents, etc. The Witnesses can't intrude on your private property without permission. Where is the line drawn? I'd say a door and stairs are private property. Fortunately, I've lived in private complexes so I told them to give me the name of the resident whose guest they were or I would promptly call the police. The Witnesses lawyers must have researched this issue. What if they fall on your stairs or your handrail is not secure?

When the const'n was ratified, the slaughter of the Hugenots in France had occurred. England was a mess b/c of Henry Tudors marriages. He was Catholic by nature. Never ratified Luther. He was on a recent list of usurpers. If the Tudors had been kings longer, maybe the crisis would not have happened. Catholics vs. Reformers fought viciously. Depending on where you lived, a battle could occur. You would have to discard all your prayer beads, etc. Have English bibles. The next morning a skirmish might reverse the result. Regardless of religious issues, the turmoil was not good for society. People were beheaded for trivial things such as publishing English bibles, and whether you stood or kneeled to receive communion. Everyone was taxed to support the Church of England. Religion and state were a ruling pair. Times have certainly changed. If one religious group were dominant, we might have an estabished church.

I don't think services is the linchpin. People see certain groups performing charitable works -- just as Jesus directed. Legally, the establishment issue is the big one. There was a heated debate whether public officers could ever be Catholic or Jewish b/c a Protestant-type oath was required. There were so few Catholics or Jews here that they were considered beyond the pale. Surely they should not vote. I find the history fascinating. Other people do, too. Everything seemed clear in law school. It is so complex. Both sides quote James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, who wasn't even in town. He coined the term wall of separation between church and state during his Presidential campaign. Some Connecticut baptists sought his views.

Another interesting tidbit is that there were no cases brought until around the Civil War. This value is so enshrined. People are passionate about religion. No cases went forward.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit