How was the singing in your congro?

by karter 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• karter
    karter

Mine as best abysmal.

We had Brother ..I can't sing in tune but will sing louder than anyone else.

Sister trained opera voice that sang a note or 3 above everyone else.

The rest were just down rite dreadfull.

• blondie
    blondie

We have several good, loud singers that sat spread throughout the KH so it was pretty good. We actually had get together to practice singing that were fun. That was when the 1984 version came out. African jws practice too and sing acapella. It depended on the interest and ability of people at the KH. I visited some that were not so practiced and it was painful for all.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Mine as best abysma

karter, I can vouch for that LOL, ok ok I can't really, I can't remember your singin.

Actually I don't recall that we were ever in the same congo.

Mine was terrible, i mostly just mouthed them.

Most of the congo's i have in, none of them would get rewards for their singin

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Very weak, at best. When the music stopped it was reduced to a little humming.

By contrast, I was raised in the Church of Christ where they don't believe in musical accompaniment to their church songs, and hold special meetings throughout the year to practice singing. They take it very seriously, at least the people I knew did, and are excellent singers based on what I remember from the 1960s. I always felt they put JWs to shame.

Unfortunately it didn't rub off. I am a terrible singer!

• dozy
    dozy

In a word - very poor. (Sorry - that was 2 words.)

In most congregations , there were one or two louder singers - occasionally a brother or sister particularly sang with passion , but they are few & far between.

Otherwise it was very quiet & lacklustre. I went to quite a few kingdom halls giving talks & away on work & I generally found it was the same everywhere , with a range from quiet to "you can hear a pin drop" awfulness. OK - the poor quality of most of the songs doesn't help , but everywhere there just seemed to be JWs mumbling & just going through the motions (something of a metaphor for the whole religion , I guess). We often discussed the rubbish singing in elders meeting (our PO was a very heartfelt brother who did sing well and he felt very strongly about the importance of singing) & he scheduled an occasional "local needs" item on improving the singing , but it never had any effect.

The opening songs are especially bad , with people ambling into their seats & looking for songbooks.

I always used to be embarrassed at JW funerals when people who were used to good enthusiastic singing from the churches came to the KH. I recall one Catholic woman being especially unimpressed.

In contrast , I often go on holiday with friends to an island off the UK coast where we rent a holiday cottage beside a church. The singing on Sunday morning with the church doors open is delightful to hear. We often (when active JWs) used to discuss why it was that supposedly Satan's worshippers had so much more enthusiasm & passion than people of the "true religion."

• wobble
    wobble

We had those types you mention, Bro Shouty and Sis Trill who held the note when everyone else had run out of breath. It was 'kin awful.

I am surprised that the GB/Writing boys only have a half hearted article every few years about singing, it is well known that religious groups use it because of what is released into the brain during stirring singing, "happyfying" endorphins or whatever they are, it is the reason that many attend a church with good music as part of the act.

The problem they have got of course is that they will not use professional musicians and composers, so the songs they have are unsingable crap.

• still thinking
    still thinking

to say it was shyte would be an understatement...so it was bloody shyte ...but lets face it, they weren't exactly catchy tunes either...I was buggered if I could figure them out half the time.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Wobble said,

The problem they have got of course is that they will not use professional musicians and composers.

Very true. Another problem Witnesses have is that they reject good music that already exists. I always felt that Amazing Grace was a beautiful song with a great message that doesn't violate JWs' beliefs, but the elitist GB says no to it. It's a shame.

• highdose
    highdose

The difference between KH's and Churches is that churches are built with singing in mind. Vaulted ceilings etc that resonate the sound. In contrast the flat low ceiling of the KH will just kill any sounds dead. And the attitude is different too

Song 1) is normaly sung with the attitude of " great(!) heres another boring meeting we have to get through!"

song 2) "its a relief to stand up, at least this is the half way point! actauly i'll just go to the loo

3) "yippie! its finaly over! realese!"

While i was a jw i did go to a church and heard them sing "Jerueslum" it made my heart swell and brought a lump to my throat. I felt so ashamed about feeling like that about a church song.

• blondie
    blondie

I love that song too highdose; I have Judy Collins singing it. I have attended churches and it varies as to the quality of the singing. Many small churches do not have choirs and their rank and file find it hard to sing some of their songs (some not written very well or designed for trained singers).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit