Random Thoughts from a Double Life

by Red Piller 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Hello, I rarely get to post. So, here are some things I've experienced in Witness-land.

1st off. You know, we had a family tragedy. What struck me was how kind everyone in the congregation was. Sisters cooked food. Some bought ready-made dishes. Cards and flowers filled the kitchen table. The congregation genuinely gasped when our loss was announced. Everyone couldnt stop asking about us and hugging us, for weeks on end. Made me real sad -all of it. How I can't be genuine around these folks. And how underneath the layers of cult control - there are some really good people. That can be forgotten sometimes - while we rage against this machine.

I went to a dinner invite. We had a conversation about someone who had done something to me. I mentioned how I would love to get him back - but its not worth it. One of the dinner guests, said "if you could only be a Catholis for a day, huh?" He said it twice. So offensive. I know some Catholics who are the sweetest people you'd ever meet. They've volunteered, they've helped people. I trust them implicitly. Much more than just about any elder I know.

On page 98 of the Bearing Witness book, this statement is made: Charles Taze Russell, an outstanding teacher who took the lead in the preaching work in the late 19th and early 20th centuries" An outstanding teacher, that's all? Can you feel the distancing?

There was an experience, at our convention, of a sister whose dad disassociated. She commented on how the congregation made sure that she was part of another family's weekly bible study and how much she appreciated how everyone surrounded her with support. Can't everyone see the irony? If she had changed religions and her dad didn't - he'd throw her out.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Can't everyone see the irony? If she had changed religions and her dad didn't - he'd throw her out.

I bet many do have that thought and then it's swiftly assassinated by the many years of cult indoctrination.

-Sab

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Red Piller: "... underneath the layers of cult control - there are some really good people. That can be forgotten sometimes - while we rage against this machine."

Yeah, the problem is not the people, it's the ridiculous, manipultive, cult-like, mind-controlling rules from the leadership of the WTBTS.

Ironically, Rutherford had it right, "Religion is a snare and a racket." In spite of all the rhetoric to the contrary, Jehovah's Witnesses is a religion just like all the others.

Finally, and most importantly, I'm sorry you've had a family tragedy of late. So often it seems like it takes something like that to bring things into sharper focus and remind us what are the really most important things in this short life we have.

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

Thank you 00DAD ! ! ! You said it and I couldnt have said it better. What he said! What he said!

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

Red Piller... Your thoughts may be random, but they are relavent. As evidenced by the following comments.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    Red Piller - . . . Made me real sad -all of it. How I can't be genuine around these folks. And how underneath the layers of cult control - there are some really good people. That can be forgotten sometimes - while we rage against this machine. . . .

Hi Red Pillar. I hope that you never forget that JWs are victums of the thought reform techniques that the WTBTS uses. The WTBTS is not a religion. The WTBTS is a dangerous cult that publishes and distributes literature that it trys to market as religious.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

aren't you scared to make this post? i bet you're all paranoid when you goto sleep, saying to yourself 'should i have made that post, omg jehovah please dont kill me' lol. it's the gb that wants to kill you not jehovah. they want to make you feel like you're just this 1 black mark in this beautious sea of true worshippers, and all that bullshit. fear is the tactic of the dark side. and jws have the fear card down pat. do the math.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

How I can't be genuine around these folks. And how underneath the layers of cult control - there are some really good people. That can be forgotten sometimes - while we rage against this machine.

Don't the confuse the PEOPLE with the Organization. I truly believe most of the people are sincere and good hearted. Yeah, there are clearly some "at the top" that are malicious and power hungry and who have just learned how to play the politics of it all to gain some benefits personally, either in the feeling of power, or perhaps the benefits financially thru their JW connections. (Always been amazing to me how majority DONATE their time for builds or remodels, but SOME are able to put in "competitive bids" for their business products or services. You WILL NOT convince me that they are not making a profit on this.)

The term CAPTIVES is a very good term for most who are IN.

They would not choose to shun others. They are TOLD/COMMANDED to do so.

They would not choose to die if a transfusion would save their life. They are told/commanded that God commands this. If WTS changed the policy on this, most would follow suit as their thoughts are NOT based on their understanding of any Bible commandment, their thoughts are based on WT policy.

They would not choose to spend wasted hours knocking on the doors of empty homes. They are told/commanded to do this if they want to EARN everlasting life. WTS knows this is important to keep people involved and feeling needed and feeling like they are doing an important work. Everyone knows most "growth" are "born ins" and those who find themselves in emotional situations in life at the given time and are looking for solace. They would do better seeking therapy or counseling, but JWs give them HOPE for a better future.

They are indeed Captives who have had their mental thinking ability turned off.

I was. So were most of you.

DOC

• 00DAD
    00DAD

If I may continue riffing along the lines of what DesirousOfChange was saying, I believe that much, if not most, of the negative behavior on the part of the majority of JWs is a result of their mis-guided loyalty to destructive WT policies and practices.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Haven't posted in a while. Just wanted to thank you all for your condolences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit