Mormons at the door

by jws 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

So yesterday afternoon I'm minding my own business when the doorbell rings. I answer the door to find a couple of Mormons. I get into discussions with them from my agnostic viewpoint. There could be a god, who knows? But god could not be what is described in the bible. Any intelligent being (especially a perfect one) wouldn't behave as described.

So anyway, we talk for about 15 minutes. I challenge Joseph Smith's interpreting of the scrolls (or whatever). They stand by their beliefs and find nothing suspicious.

At the end of the conversation, I apologize for keeping them so long. They tell me it's OK, they enjoy talking to people. I reveal that I was once a JW and used to knock on doors too and that yes, most people were rude to us and wouldn't talk and I could relate.

OK, so we part ways. But that wasn't the end of it.

Later, I go meet up with friends at Hooters. They had some descent drink specials. About 11pm, in walk a couple of young guys and sit at a nearby table and order a 24-ounce beer each. It's the Mormons.

I was shocked. They seemed a bit shocked too. A little like they were busted.

Does anybody know Mormon religion. Or more specifically, "proper behavior" for their door-to-door preachers? Did they break rules to go to a place like Hooters?

I know it's just a restaurant. And what's wrong with ordering beers? But is it like the JWs? Where they'd frown on going to a place where women are in tight and tiny outfits? And they'd feel guilty being caught by somebody they talk to in field service a few hours earlier with huge beers in front of them?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Aside from the moral aspect of Hooters, Mormons forbid the use of alcohol among other things.

Dob them in to their elder er.. elders

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You could have joined them for a beer and compared the JW & Mormon versions of fading.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

..just be glad they are able to make choices outside the confines of a cult and rejoice in the power of humanity.

• jws
    jws

I was leaving, but I did say a hi and goodbye and ordered another round of beers for them.

Didn't know alcohol was forbidden. Would have loved to ask them about that.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Nice one

Cheers

Chris

• Expanded-Mind
  • Expanded-Mind
  • Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

I am hoping my comments will post this time... I usually use my IE 9 browser, so I went to my Firefox browser to give it a try... third times a charm, or so they say!

Perhaps these two Mormons took down your address and, if not too embarrassed, will come back to visit you, giving you an opportunity to discuss this! That would be one interesting conversation!

ExpandedMind

• moshe
    moshe

It would be doing them a favor to turn them in to the local LDS church- after all, if they believe in their God, then it is only just that He sees all and knows all and punishes them for violating the rules of their church.

I have a distant dna cousin (same last name)who is a Mormon. One of his nephews finished his 2 year mission and i asked him on facebook (pm'd) just what did he have to show for his 2 years of work. - he apparently converted nobody in Italy, but he does speak Italian now, for all the good that will do him in Utah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit