Julian's marching band become Michigan grand champions for 2011

by FlyingHighNow 39 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Hi,
    I've taught H.S. band in Indiana for 18 years. I watched all your videos so tell Julilan he did a great job! The trumpets sounded great. Great balance, articulations, etc and a very difficult show. I'm sure he's looking forward to 3 more years of fun with his band friends. They're the best kids in any school to have as a peer group. You are very fortunate to have Mr. Zamborsky & Mr. York as well as the rest of your staff. They put in countless hours that no one ever knows about.

Best wishes.

Wow, thank you, Extractor. I didn't think about there being a HS band instructor on JWN. I just have showed Julian this thread and your comments are appreciated by us both, being from a professional point of view by someone with 18 years of experience teaching band. Jenison Band always has an outstanding show, but I knew when I heard this music played all the way through the first time that it was special and it would take the band further in their competitions than years past. And it did. To be able to topple Reeths-Puffer was difficult. Reeths is a very good band and very polished. Their playing and marching are crisp, excellent and they have beautiful props. They even coordinate their uniforms to go with the colors in the props. I think you can find their show for 2011 on youtube. It's called Dionysus and makes unique use of trombone solos. Very impressive indeed.

Does your high school have a marching band that competes? Were you at Indianapolis for Grand Nationals? If so, send me a link in a PM if you can. I'd love to see and hear your band. Even if it's an indoor concert. I have not seen one bad band in any of the Invitationals and competitions I've been to this season. All of the kids have done very well. Again, thank you for your expertise.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Flipper. I am so proud of JMB and Julian I could burst. Who needs Jehovah's Witnesses in order to have kids who are well behaved? Besides all that, this is such a cool show!

Jeff, yes, band kids can get scholarships. Most certainly. And marching band in particular really does help kids behave better. Jenison kids are told that they represent the school and the marching band, especially while in uniform. So they have to use professionalism and good decorum at all times. They are practiced in good sportsmanship and dignity when it comes to winning and losing. They also have a good social group outside of band.

• caliber
    caliber

congrats !! they are a very professional sounding bunch.... lots of hard work and pride went into this !!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yes, thank you, Garold. They started practicing for three hours on Monday nights in mid June. Then in July, they put in three hours on Monday and Tuesday nights. August brought pre-band camp week, which was four full days at the school marching. Then band camp week was 5 and a half days at over night band camp at hope college where they spent from dawn until evening marching and playing. All of that included athletic conditioning that would rival or surpass any sports team. Then they had post band camp week which was four more days at the school. They played their first half time shows in late August. Then they practiced every Mon and Tues night, an hour of class each day and every saturday, but the one after the homecoming game, the day of the dance until last Saturday. There were some additional practices before big competitions and some marathon Saturdays. They spent three days in Indianapolis last weekend. Many hours and Julian only missed practice when he was sick. Oh, and do not forget all the at home football games. Many Saturdays were spent practicing and then competing later in the day. They gave two performances at their own Invitational.

• juni
    juni

Excellent job! Congratulations Julian!

FlyingHighNow - I remember years ago when Julian was just a little guy and we got money together for his bicycle.... where does time go????

Juni

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh wow! Juni! It's soooo good to see you! Julian has been with me now since he was ten! Now if we can just get him to put such dedication into his academics.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Juni, are you on facebook? I have missed you so much.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Extractor, we have the best instructors and colorguard guy and section instructors, volunteers and boosters and fans. We love Mr. Z, Mr. York and Jamie.

• FlyingHighNow
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hi everyone, someone put the Grand Nationals Championship for Bands of America Jenison Preliminary Performance up on youtube.

This is the best video of the 2011 Tempest's Fury show up on youtube. I hope you enjoy it. I still have to see it everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNr8eZdOzNM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit