Why are letters from John and Paul included in the Bible?

by Lore 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Where is the proof that Jesus was literate? I read only mainstream scholarly books and I've read them recently. We seem to keep reading divergent authors. I keep reading the debate in book after book. It is almost a constant. I've been studying the historical Jesus since 1972. Never have I seen evidence that he was literate.

The bar mitzvah reading could have been performed. All my friends memorized the reading. Few of my Jewish male friends were fluent in Hebrew yet all had bar mitzvahs. I just wonder why I read such different info. If it is settled, why am I referencing debates concerning it. Ehrman was the last author I read that mentioned it. A book that I read this very month. We know so little about Jesus of Nazareth. Strange that we know his SAT scores and reading comprehension level.

Illiteracy does not mean you are an idiot.

• tec
    tec

BOTR - He read from a scroll, and he wrote in the dirt. Now the fact that those are written in the bible does not make them proof that He was literate. But it certainly seems to lend more credence to the idea that he was literate, over being illiterate.

Peace,

Tammy

• jws
    jws

If you assume any of it is real, then Jesus quoted verses at times, with "it is written". That might mean he could read. He could have also heard those things read to him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit