Did your parents HATE the TV show Father Knows Best?

by 3rdgen 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

XYZ, you are cracking me up today!!! (Check out my response to your post on the Flashlight Holder thread) Didn't you know kids who in real life were these characters?My ex hus. WAS Eddie Haskel. He placed 12 mags EVERY Sat on his mag route from the time he was a kid because he layed it on thick with the HH's. His brother was like Wally, a handsome, earnest kid who when he was about 13 got forced to take a house with a very nerdy/creepy girl his age. She took the door and said, "My name is _ _ _ and I would like to introduce you to my FUTURE HUSBAND. He never heard the end of that one!

• talesin
    talesin

I don't remember that show, but my parents HATED the Brady Bunch. "No one is that happy, blah blah blah".

One thing I've learned in life, is that a lot of folks who grow up in severely dysfunctional homes, hate TV shows that portray happy family life. They just don't want to admit that it IS a reality for some people.

Some kids I grew up with had lovely families,,, supportive parents, no beatings, no church obligations, they really do exist.

TD, you said this:

Of course, the sexism de jour is to protray men as the most incompetent, unintelligent, bumbling, selfish, uninvolved maladroits imaginable.

This is a great point, and I so agree! It's why I never liked that Everyone Loves Raymond show. A lot of sitcoms are very biased against men. I liked to watch According To Jim, because they were always 'getting each other back' and messing around. Sometimes Jim got one over on Cheryl, and sometimes she got him, but it didn't make him look like a fool every episode. My ex and I were discussing this very topic a few weeks ago, and he said "Yes, though I'm not a sitcom person, I do admit that it was a good show that didn't put men down".

Edit: just noticed that you included Jim in those shows,, interesting!

tal

• TD
    TD

Tal,

just noticed that you included Jim in those shows,, interesting!

Maybe it was just the handful of episodes I watched.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Feminism aside, men are right about how they are portrayed as children on TV. You need a wife to whip you into shape. Without an overbearing wife, you can't be a human. It is sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit