A week without field service makes you weak! Anybody remember that?

by Bonnie_Clyde 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

We had this saying here in Romania too.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I remember as well but at least the bro in our hall that constantly made the remark did it with humor. He said "We need to participate in field service w.e.e.k.l.y not w.e.a.k.l.y." Then we all would laugh. To Blondie: I want to personally thank you for the exaustive research you do. ((Blondie)) I have a related Question: Some time in the 70's there was a W.T. study article that made the statement (I'm Paraphrasing) If a witness can pioneer and does not it is "tantimount to murder". Do you recall witch issue? Would you by any chance have the direct quote? Thanks again.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Hi 3rdgen - I'm not Blondie by any means, but I think you're thinking of WT 1974 2/15 "Widening Out in Our Love for Mankind"

From paragraph 19

But this will not free from bloodguilt individuals who fail to show real love and concern for fellowmen. To illustrate, if a father neglected his child so that it came into a perilous situation, he would not be without guilt even if someone else rescued the child from death. Similarly, one professing to be a servant of Jehovah but failing in his duty toward others would not be guiltless. His loveless, unconcerned attitude would be tantamount to murder. He would not be able to excuse himself on the basis that he did some preaching, for Jehovah God would know the degree of negligence and would pass judgment accordingly.—Rom. 14:12.

Now is no time for anyone to try to get by with mere token service or to involve himself with cares of life or business ventures to such an extent that he has no time for people. The greatest lifesaving work in the history of mankind is rapidly drawing to a close. Is it not right, therefore, for us to make sacrifices, to forgo personal pleasures and desires?
  • serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I'm sure the WT just stole that line from somewhere. A church in my area had a similar quote on the marquee- 7 days without prayer makes one weak.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

To Sapphy: Thanks a million!!! When that article came out I was terrifyed Jah would judge me a murderer so I became a reg. pioneer the next month! Good Grief , the guilt that was dumped on us!!!To Blondie: Thanks for pointing out the endless flip flops from the WTS on association with "weak" ones If you miss a w.e.e.k. of literature, you might not know how to treat the w.e.a.k.!

• cult classic
    cult classic

Yep, I remember that. Had a CO who constantly "encouraged" us high schoolers not to let an entire week go by without engaging in the misery.

• truthlover
    truthlover

If thats the case I am doomed....

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 7/06 p. 4 par. 4 Cultivate Good Habits, Reap Rich Blessings ***

The inspired record tells us that the apostles shared in declaring the good news “every day in the temple and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42) While we may not be able to preach every day, can we make it our habit to participate in some form of the ministry every week? By doing so, we will surely become more proficient in handling God’s Word, and we will likely enjoy encouraging experiences in sharing Bible truth with others.

*** km 5/05 p. 4 par. 2 Family Schedule—Family Field Service ***

A sister reared by God-fearing parents recalled: “We never woke up on a Saturday morning asking if we were going in the ministry. We knew we were.” Similarly, you can instill in your children the importance of the preaching work by establishing a consistent weekly routine for sharing in field service as a family. Not only does this allow your children to learn from watching you but it also enables you to observe their attitude, manners, and developing skills.

*** km 5/84 p. 7 pars. 2-4 Regularity in Service Brings Blessings ***

2 The psalmist wrote: “From day to day tell the good news of salvation by him.” (Ps. 96:2) Many of us may not share in field service each day, but would it not be reasonable to schedule some time for the ministry each week if at all possible? Although Paul recognized that to “declare the good news” was a “necessity” for him, he also declared the good news of the Kingdom eagerly. (1 Cor. 9:16; Rom. 1:15) Do we not also view sharing in the ministry each week as both a necessity and a grand privilege? Do we feel as did Peter and John who emphatically declared, “We cannot stop speaking about the things we have seen and heard”?—Acts 4:20.

3 For various reasons some of our brothers have allowed entire months to pass without spending even one hour in field service. This is a cause for concern because only if we exercise faith by sharing the good news with others can we expect to maintain spiritual strength. (Rom. 10:9, 10) As a muscle requires regular use to stay strong, so likewise our faith needs to be exercised in order to remain firm. By continually talking to others about the Kingdom, we keep the truth firmly embedded in our hearts.

4 Another reason for making public expression of our faith on a regular basis is that it serves as a protection, a bulwark, against Satan’s unrelenting efforts to pierce our spiritual armor with his burning missiles. (Eph. 6:16) Through lack of use and care, armor can rust and cease to serve as a protection. After itemizing our protective armor, Paul urges: “Also, accept . . . the sword of the spirit, that is, God’s word.” (Eph. 6:17) This is without doubt an unbeatable combination—spiritual protective armor and the sword of the spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit