JWs Depression and Suicide

by 00DAD 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Since Jehovah's Witnesses supposedly have "The Truth" and are part of God's Visible Organization living in a "spiritual paradise" you would naturally expect that they should be the happiest people on earth! This clearly is NOT the case.

wha happened? and I were having a conversation about a congregation we know of in the San Fernando Valley, California where within a relatively short period of time (a couple of years or so), and in completely unrelated incidents, two elders' wives killed themselves. (This happened 10-ish years ago).

It would no doubt be informative for someone with the appropriate qualifications to conduct a complete scientific, sociologically-sound, clinical study into the subject of JWs and Depression and Suicide.

In lieu of that, perhaps we could collect anecdotal accounts related to the subject. Please share accounts or situations which you know about where JWs:

• Exhibited extreme forms of depression?
    • Attempted or committed suicided?

Please keep it to situations which you personally know are true. Let's not have any hearsay JW Urban legends. Also, this subject is by definition complicated. Many factors contribute to depression and suicide. However, the sad irony is that this should be minimal, if at all, among "God's Blessed Nation" and yet it is not. Some indicators are that depression and suicide might even be higher among JWs than the general population! I've been trying to track down some solid evidence in that regard, but it's quite elusive.

Finally, PLEASE DO NOT USE NAMES. We don't need to disrespect the personal privacy of people whose lives are filled with enough trouble already. The important thing would be to discuss situations that show the disparity between how "The Truth" is supposed to affect people's lives and how it often actually causes the very problems it is supposed to prevent.

• N.drew
    N.drew

There are two kinds of depression that I have information about. One kind I suffered. It is bouts of worthlessness. The other kind I have only heard of affects the whole life of a person. I think it's called clinical depression.

I will tell you about my kind.

It began as a child. It might have been exacerbated by living with father who was alcoholic. And a mother who was fine, but had little skill in the way of nurture. It would come in bouts of loneliness, feeling of unworthiness, and hopelessnes. It started as "I wish I was never born" to "I wish I were dead" to attempted suicide (twice). When I met the Witnesses, I did not feel alone any more. I finally rid myself of the hate of self. But we all know, do we not, that it is not long lasting. The boredom and the obvious strain of all we had commanded upon us to do took it's toll. Then haha I got in trouble. Criminal Minds (TV) calls it "The Stresser". The brother's handling the trouble didn't do it very well. (Even later I heard from a friend, not the brother who botched it, that he confessed to her that they did not handle it well.) It was like learning mom and dad saying no more Santa Claus sic for you! But it was way worse then that. The feeling of hopelessness with it's accompaning thoughts of suicide came back. Of course I did not attempt it again, but it is very powerful and can become an addiction.

ps the trouble came when i gave a pioneer sister a slap. What is so funny about that? Heaven might be debating forever if she deserved it or not. And I think thta's funny. Am I crazy?

• Alfred
    Alfred

I've only heard of such suicides from nearby congo's... but it was always explained away as the victim's fault...

-Watchtower November 1, 1987 page 14

Yet, the Bible’s words are not easily brushed aside: “God is not one to be mocked. [“There is no thumbing your nose at God.”—Byington] For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap; because he who is sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh.” (Galatians 6:7, 8) Lewd behavior often results in sickness, or even untimely death, from diseases such as syphilis, gonorrhea, and AIDS, to name the outstanding ones. Mental and emotional imbalance, depression, and even suicide are also at times the result of promiscuous life-styles. So while those sharing in immoral practices may laugh in scorn at those trying to keep themselves clean, the laughter stops as the mockers begin ‘reaping what they have sown.’—Compare Romans 1:24-27.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

This subject has concerned me greatly, as I have lost 3 friends, 2 of them dear friends who I miss greatly, to suicide in the past few years. I have come to believe that the ridiculous policies and characteristics of the religion itself were largely responsible. This has occurred in two adjoining congregations located about 40 miles apart in rural midwest US, each with about 100-120 publishers.

The first was in 2007-2008. Elder and wife, mid 50's, children at the age of moving out, wanted to go into the Spanish speaking work. The Society and Witness culture - you know what I am talking about- influenced them to sell their house and serve temporarily in the Dominican Republic, with the idea of immersing themselves in the language to learn it better. After 6 months they returned broke and he was literally burned out, as they had him giving virtually every meeting part, in Spanish yet. Also he had been taking an anti-depressant, and without health insurance he decided he could do without it. He had returned to the home congregation for a few months before they were going to serve in a Spanish speaking congregation in the US southeast. He killed himself on a cold weekday afternoon in March. I think about him virtually every day, as he was at my house in the weeks before they went to the DR, and I got the feeling he wanted to talk about it, but I didn't take the time to sit down with him. It haunts me to this day and I have since resolved to never again let such an opportunity pass. He was an active elder in good standing at the time of his death.

The second was in 2009. A sister with a great deal of intelligence and drive, was unhappy with being a 'Stepford' witness wife... she liked to work and was of the type who should have gone to college and find a measure of fulfilment in a career. Her teenage son was disfellowshipped. She wanted desperately to move out of the area and start something different. She got an appartment 80 miles away and separated from her husband. She overdosed in the spring of '09. She was not actively associating at the time, but was not disfellowshipped. She was a dear friend and I thought the world of her.

The third was in 2010. An active ministerial servant, married with young children, took his own life. Depression over losing his job, starting a different job with lower pay, prospect of losing his house, perhaps other reasons I do not know about, as I did not know him really well.

I have not given any names or exact locations because, in agreement with the previous poster, we need to think about the surviving family and children, who would be pained to see their loved one's name pop up on a google search in this context.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

There was a wonderful woman in my hall 15 years ago who took her life. Her children had recently moved out, and her husband was an MS or elder (can't remember). He was a super nice man too. He was the one who found her...heartbreaking.

They had a funeral for her at the Kingdom Hall, and I remember the elder giving the talk said we're all friends here, but she died thinking she had none. That was the most real thing I heard off the stage. I think about her often. She had such beautiful children, and never got to see her grandchildren.

I also had a friend growing up in the Hall who attempted suicide a few times. She had a horrible home life with an abusive father and the elders encouraged her Mom to stay with him. Thankfully her Mom eventually moved out, and they all have better lives without him in it. I detested when he would be asked to say a prayer at the meetings because I knew he was a horrible person.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Having been treated for a bout of clinical depression in the past, and having family and friends treated for it (including speaking with some mental health people), I believe much can be traced to Watchtower teachings and culture. Currently my wife is going through some talk therapy for leaving the Borg. The Watchtower Society has been ANTI mental health treatment for years. Some minor issues that might get "nipped in the bud" get worse when untreated. JWs are conditioned to feel unworthy from childhood. Seems like 1/2 of most halls are on anti-depression meds. I know a LOT of ex bethelites, pioneers, elders, C.O. wives, and missionaries suffering from clinical depression.

My past PERSONAL belief for WHY all the depression is that no matter WHAT you do for WBTS, it was NEVER ENOUGH (and the mistaken view they represent Jehovah). Pioneering..tsk..tsk..someone is doing that in an iron lung or in a wheelchair. Working at Bethel 40-50 hrs a week..tsk...tsk some bethelite is aux. pioneering as well...or volunteered to serve in an AFRICAN branch. Missionary...tsk..tsk other missionaries travel in dugout canoes and battle crocs!! Make ALL the meetings..you didn't answer enough or were LATE! LOL!! Yet the Governing Body sit on their asses. NEVER COOK, SHOP, CLEAN, DO LAUNDRY, PAY BILLS, RAISE KIDS, GO TO SCHOOL, MOW THE LAWN, FIX THINGS, WORRY ABOUT BILLS, CARE FOR ELDERLY PARENTS. Most rarely go in service. They love to "Bind heavy loads" on the sheep.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" SHOULD be the YEAR TEXT behind the podium. Staying up late for meetings, up early on weekends, travel time, meeting time, Assembly expenses, congregation needs..keeping the house PERFECT..the CAR..PERFECT...the kids..PERFECT...the clothes...PERFECT......people just get WORN out, sleep deprived, beat down and discouraged. The recommended "theocratic activities schedule adds about 15 extra hours to most publishers 40-50 hr work week. The frazzled publishers see assembly parts every Sat. with perfect families eating PERFECT homebaked cookies while discussing the dailey text PERFECTLY. What a CROC. No wonder so many publishers feel "Less than, and unworthy". They feel forced to EARN salvation. I also think most downhearted JWs have deep doubts about the Governing body. They say" the end is near", yet make 10 year realestate and financial plans. They say they are "spirit directed", but flip flop yearly. They say they are non-profit but store-up billions.

Jesus said his "yoke would be lighter" than the Jews..heck.. being an orthodox Jew would be a breeze compared to being one of Jehovah's Witnesses. (Grow a beard, no pork, no service, and one meeting a week. For women NO COOKING OR CLEANING ON THE SABBATH !).

Yes I believe "break-downs" are much more common among JWs, and very common in Bethel and Missionary homes compared to the general public.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I agree with all the comments so far and add this: Witnesses are given mixed messages about "Jehovah's blessing". For example, years ago when my 1st husband was disfellowshipped I became understadably distraught. I talked to an elder(my uncle) about the fact that our family was already having so many problems,I was afraid he might snap. His answer? "It looks like JEHOVAH ISN'T BLESSING YOU. I was KILLING myself to do all the society expected of a christian wife and mother and I was abandoned by the leadership who blamed God. On the other hand I knew many in the org who had broken lots of rules and were flourishing. They would often say after their 3rd trip to Europe "IT WAS A BLESSING FROM JEHOVAH" If the DO MORE religion is true, it would logically follow that pioneers and missionaries would be healthier and have plenty of money. Since virtually all JW's love God and want to please him, they feel horrible about themselves and resentful of others when God is portreyed as so completely unfair. This is where the disconnect comes in: They don't want to believe that Jehovah is unfair with his blessings, they don't want to believe the religion is false, so they're left feeling miserable and UNLOVED by God and His people. Who WOULD NOT be depressed?

• N.drew
    N.drew

Dear 3rdgen, how did your husband fare?

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

To N Drew, Thanks for asking. It turns out that my ex was a con artist who had convinced me that the elders had trumped up charges against him. It was easy to pull off since the committee was comprised of men who constantly acted like Pharasees. My ex's father was an elder much like Eli in the Bible. He backed up his son and hid many of his sins from everyone including me. None of his family shunned him. (they lived on our property) With all of our support he was reinstated in only 8mos. A couple of years later we moved out of the area. I had no idea my husband was only "posing" and living a double life. He was such a good con he soon was appointed a MS in our new hall. All the while he was a drug dealer with a meth habbit and multiple mistresses. The only reason I found out was that one of the girlfriends wanted to marry him. He had told her he was getting a divorce but, of course never did. SHE was a biker chick he should't have crossed. She outed him not only to me but the elders as well. He was DF'ed again, we divorced, and our kids were distroyed. A few years later he messed with the 12 yr old daughter of a leader of an infamous Motorcycle gang. He died "mysteriously" within the year.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Every day it is proved that "truth is stranger than fiction". I hope you and the children have recovered. I have a neighbor who is a sister (JW) and she had a similar story of a husband in good standing yet leading a double life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit