Meet The Jehovah's Witness Turned Seven-Foot College Hoops Mystery

by lisaBObeesa 18 Replies latest jw friends

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Interesting story of a JW kid who was not allowed to play sports as a kid who is turning into a basketball star at USC....

Dewayne Dedmon's Leap Of Faith

Discouraged for religious reasons from playing basketball, a young Jehovah's Witness who would soon be 7 feet tall had to decide whether to follow his mother's ardent beliefs or his own heart

CHRIS BALLARD ****************

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarked)

• talesin
    talesin

Great story. He sure went through a lot, and hopefully, will never look back!

Interesting quote from his loving mom,,, it's verbatim, what my mother told me ...

"I wish my kids were still [young], back when they listened and did what you said. They get older and become independent and get a mind of their own."

Ah, having a mind of our own,,, do all JWS parents feel this way?

tal

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

There ain't more jockeying for position or competition amongst men then when the CO comes to town!

And, how come, the Williams sisters can openly declare that they are Jehovah's Witnesses, . . . all the while they make a living on competition!

I hope this young man has a very good career as a basketball player. I'll be looking for his future team!

Skeeter

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

"I wish my kids were still [young], back when they listened and did what you said. They get older and become independent and get a mind of their own."

Stupid woman.

mean and judgemental of me perhaps, but i can't stand parents who are unable and unwilling to see that just because they gave birth to the kid does NOT mean they get to own them. Our role is to raise them as best we can instill a decent set of moral guidelines and help them to become whatver person they have potential to be.

NOT bemoan that they chose life over their stupid fucking religion.

sheesh, i loath the JWs more every day i tell you.

oz

• Think About It
    Think About It

This guy has a story similar to 7' NBA star Kevin Garnett. Garnett was raised by a JW mom and never played organized basketball until later as a teenager. Garnett was the 5th pick in the NBA right out of High School. Don't know if he was ever baptized, but still probably X-JW.

Hope Dedmon does well.

Think About It

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The Mother's opinion was likely given to her by an elder. She was simply a mouthpiece for the Society

• Gayle
    Gayle

Glad he found his way to do something rewarding. Hope he continues his way of freedom. It is so ridiculous that his ignorant mom is disappointed in him.

How many JW kids never got the opportunity, missed full potential. How JW kids got their youth just squelched! I am so glad most leave the organization that only "uses" them. I hope even a higher percentage leave sooner.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I'm confused. Isn't the goal of any parent to raise a child that is independent with a mind of its own? I repeat what Aussie said. Stupid woman.

• moshe
    moshe

The full story, said that his mother and two older sisters declined to be interviewed- typical for JWs. They want to preach- and when a reporter gives them the chance to tell their side of their kingdom message - they run and hide.

How many other JW kids who read that story, will be asking to play sports now, too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit