What's the most insensitive thing you have been told while grieving?

by 3rdgen 78 Replies latest jw friends

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

A few years ago my 21 yr old firstborn and only son died in an accident. I was an active JW at the time. In fact , I was at the meeting when it happened. Most of the friends were very kind and tried to be "incouraging" but a couple were idiots. I'm sorry to say they were members of my own family. One who didn't bother to come to the memorial for him sent a card which was a sermon about why I should strap on a bookbag and spend more time in FS. But the prize for the worst goes to.... my own mother who called 2 wks after he died. My husband answered the phone and (I swear I'm not kidding ) she said "Well is she over it yet?"

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

god some people got no idea,

probably the worst one that I can remember is, shortly after we were married I was diagnosed with cancer & very occasionally some of the jws would visit, this particular time a sister, who may not have known the situation at the time, when told what I had blurted out "oh you could die from that" my young wife was in the room & I heard it from the bedroom,

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Hi FSP, That visiting sister is a real genius. How is your health now?

• talesin
    talesin

When I got out of the hospital after a bad miscarriage, I called my mother. She was very upset that we did not call her from the hospital as it was happening (fear of blood transfusions, I guess). Then, she said lots of women lose their babies, and that at my age, it was probably a good thing. Oh, and did they come to visit, maybe bring us a casserole or something (I was out of commission for a week or so) --- NOT!

• talesin
    talesin

3rdgen --- that is just,,, well, I have no words. Mothers can be so insensitive and downright SELFISH.

tal

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

3rdgen

30years free of it & happy

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Hi Talisin, So sorry you suffered this loss. Do you have other children?

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

FSP Yeaaaaaa!!!

• talesin
    talesin

3rdgen - no, I wasn't able to, as it turned out. Had 3 after that, and sometimes acceptance is the best thing. :)

fsp -- 30 years,,, awesome!

tal

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

3rdgen

thanks

tal

I had no idea what you have had to put up with, your mother, like, that's the sort of thing my mother would do or say

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit