COST CUTTING IDEAS, STOP SENDING THE BIG GUNS TO TWO DAY CONVENTIONS. YOUR IDEAS?

by AvocadoJake 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Over ten years ago I noticed some changes in the way the District Conventions were being handled that made believe that they were becoming a huge burden and, as such, a very unloving arrangement. Consider the following:

Fewer and fewer venues are willing to rent their facilities to the WTB&TS because there's not enough money involved to make it worth their while. Vendors are not allowed to sell anything at anytime by the WTB&TS. Concessions are a huge factor in the revenue made at events held in these venues. In addition, fewer and fewer hotels are participating in giving the WTB&TS lower rates or, if the do, they are offering fewer rooms at those rates. If you stay at a hotel that is not participating you are working against Jehovah's organization.

So, how does this affect those who attend? I found more and more congregations having to travel greater distances, with less rooms available, and having to be self-reliant for their meals. Adding to the meal restrictions, you have to pack a lunch and eat it one site. No going out for lunch. To me, the so-called "joy" of attending conventions has turned into a nightmare.

I could not see myself driving a family, with small children, 400 miles one way to stay in a hotel room where we had to somehow have the ability to store and make lunches for 3 days. Now, add on to that packing 3 days worth of business attire. The best part is the 5 hour drive back after the Sunday session ends at 5:00PM and having to get up at the crack of dawn to go back to work on Monday.

So, after shelling out about $300.00 to $400.00 dollars in gas, $300.00 to $400.00 in hotel rooms, and $400.00 to $500.00 in meals you get the joy of spending 8 to 10 hours in vehicles all to sit in a chair in a heated, poorly ventilated arena to listen to talks which are about the exact same thing printed in the Watchtower six months ago. None of which tops the cake-taker -

If you don't do this you are spiritually weak and unappreciative of the spiritual provisions the Faithful and Discreet Slave have made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit