Can a non JW attend JW Weddings?

by camicia 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

Virtually every JW wedding I've been to has had some non-JW relatives attending.

• blondie
    blondie

sir82, I was talking about being in the wedding party, standing up as the best man, standing up as the maid/matron honor, bridesmaids and groomsmen, all people who walk down the aisle prior to the wedding ceremony.

Of course, non-jws can attend as observers, even seen some df'd jws do that even.

• undercover
    undercover

Yes, you can attend. But it will be a dull affair. And steel yourself for the wedding talk...as programmed by the Watchtower Society.

...and leave the rice at home. No throwing rice at JW weddings.

• poppers
    poppers

I asked the speaker why the congregation stayed seated, and he said 'well it's a bit like giving her worship isn't it?'

I liked your response. I would have said that if people kneeled down that would appear to be giving worship, but to stand shows respect.

• Bella15
    Bella15

If the groom's family is also JW and if they are hardcore JWs, they have a saying in this too, it will not be only your daugther's decision ... also in some congregations everything has to have the elders' approvals.

Read as much as you can about this subject and be prepared to have your heart broken - just in case because you don't know what kind of pressure from the groom's family, congregation and elders your daughter will be under, really! Good luck!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

They want nonJWs to attend b/c it is an opportunity to beat you over the head with the religion. One wedding speech and you will convert. It will be uncomfortable for you. My family was active in the JWs for generations. When I left, I just left. I never sent out engraved stationery with a statement that I despised the Witnesses. They looked the other way. It was difficult b/c milestones in my life had to be hidden. So much depends on the individual. My JW gm celebrated Christmas with us. She had a wonderful time. I could not believe my eyes. She just never told the brothers.

The way marriages last these days, coupled with the fact that most JWs don't stay in long, you will prob. have her back.

• camicia
    camicia

Thanks for all the responses... now I'm actually wondering if I even want to go! Ha! Not standing for the bride is utterly ridiculous but why doesn't it surprise me?

I'm not extremely thrilled over this, and imagine I'll be part of their life very little, but I'm trying to console myself with the fact he's a good boy and there could be worse groups out there for her to give her loyalty to. I watched the DVD Jehovah's Witness: Faith in Action and just thought to myself when did it all get so messed up from that nice little story of a boy who had lost everything delving into the scriptures and wanting to teach bible truth?

Back to the wedding topic, i know there's rule for dress in the kindgom hall, so does that modesty apply to wedding gowns too?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I've been to a half dozen or so, while I was married to a JW.

It would be nice if they had more than one script for the "wedding talk".

Most of the receptions were "dry"; the only exception I remember was one held at home instead of the Kingdom Hall.

Wardrobe expectations are the same as Conventions and meetings during the CO visit: suits and ties for the gents, modest dresses or skirts complete with hose for ladies, children dressed like miniature adults, and dress shoes for everybody.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit