Will "Bethel" cement a young person in or convince him out?

by extractor 18 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

JWs would certainly have issues with an educated, educator. I feel sorry for those kids. If they learn anything in school, it should be: become a logical thinker and how to identify fallacies of argument, which is rife in the Watchtower. - and those leading weasel words and damn pronouns the Watchtower uses to keep JWs dumb and under control. An English teacher can have a field day with this stuff.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/188330/1/The-Watchtower-hates-the-word-You

• factfinder
    factfinder

I must admit that my visits to Bethel were positive ones. Yes, I did see some bethelites who were unfriendly, one was even angry- but I figured they were not faithful, or it is not for everyone. I could not adjust to the lack of privacy and rigid schedule of Bethel-I am glad the brother conducting the meeting for Bethel Service at the 1978 international Convention was so forthright. He honestly presented the benifits and the challanges of life at Bethel. He admitted some are not happy there. He said only a small pecentage of publishers could adjust to life there and stay and be happy. After the meeting I handed back my application, I didn't fill it out. I must have looked very discouraged for the brother approached me after the meeting and asked me why I was down. I told him I was dissapointed: Bethel did not sound like what I thought it was like. But he encouraged me and explained- its not for everyone. Some can be joyfull and make it their life's work. And he had recounted blessings of life at Bethel in his talk, He encouraged me to pioneer. I thanked him for his honesty and knew life at Bethel was not for me.

But I very much enjoyed my many visits there over the years and wish I could visit again. ( I have no way to get there and no-one to go with.)

I appreciate hearing the experiences of those on jwn who lived at Bethel. I also realize that people are different and some can do better under certain types of circumstances than others. (I would not have been happy living there.)

A brother from my original congregation has been serving at Bethel for 35 years and his wife has been there for 21 years! He has never seemed unhappy there and I am happy for him and his wife-they were able to make the adjustments to Bethel life and find happiness there. This was his goal- and he has succeeded in it.

There are two sides to every story. Many who post on jwn had discouraging, bad experiences at Bethel and have a totally negative view of it because of what they experienced and I don't doubt they experienced those things. But there are those at Bethel who love it, and I'm sure there are ex-Bethelites who have many good things to say about their experiences there. They will not post here on jwn as witnesses are discouraged from doing so. (If I was still an active witness I would not have joined jwn either.) I knew some former Bethelites who left Bethel to have children. They enjoyed their time at Bethel.

Realistically, in a place that has so many thousands of workers of varying ages, personalities & backgrounds there are bound to be personality conflicts at times. This is to be expected. Everyone is human. ( I am not condoning any serious wrongdoing that took place there.)

My view of Bethel is no longer the one I long ago held. But I aim to be fair and objective and listen to everyone's Bethel experiences; Pro and anti.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My sister in law's (JW) 2 boys each went to Bethel..After they left Bethel they both moved as far away from their JW parents as they could and cleaned houses for a living. They eventually got disfellowshipped. I think it opened their eyes..

AS far as I know they are still disfellowshipped. Knowing their parents tho I am sure they keep in touch with them ....

Snoozy

• John Locke
    John Locke

There was a guy on this forum, called LivingTheDream, who wrote over 20 stories that happened to him during the bethel time.

These are not bitter or sad stories, rahter experiences viewed by a 20-year old kid with a fare share of humor.

Highly recommened read..

• extractor
    extractor

From Moshe: If they learn anything in school, it should be: become a logical thinker and how to identify fallacies of argument, which is rife in the Watchtower. - and those leading weasel words and damn pronouns the Watchtower uses to keep JWs dumb and under control.

Thanks for the link to the old topic Moshe! Hmm... I wonder if it would be possible to get some similar type of writing from advertising or a politician and teach my class how to recognize that they're being manipulated ...without setting off any "Opposer" bells in my young JW heads?

I'm sure they'd be wondering, "What on earth does this have to do with Mozart"?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Many get cemented in because they marry JWs and get their lives entangled in the machine.

I got to know all the crazies and it convinced me out... but it took way too long.

Bethel needs doctors and lawyers, encourage him in that direction. Good luck.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Had I seen Bethel before applying, I would have never signed up.

It opened my eyes about the serious lack of love in the WT organization. It did, however, take me years to fully process what I had seen, once I left.

I left Bethel in 2000.

By 2003 I was virtually inactive, but still very much captive.

In 2008, I disassociated myself.

• designs
    designs

In the late 60s my brother and a bunch of buddies from the LA area all made Bets and signed up for Betherl, most got accepted and most were kicked out within a year. My brother however went on and became Jesus Christ II.

• factfinder
    factfinder

designs- your brother became Jesus Christ ll ? LOL! That is funny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit