my "spiritual need"

by freedomisntfree 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

Hello JWN friends for a few years now Ive been feeling that I would like to attend a church on occasion or regularly. Somewhere thats not trinitarian but is christian and that is very bible based, any suggestions? Ive been looking into quakerism and it looks pretty good so far.

• irondork
    irondork

I'm still pretty fresh out of the organisation so the idea of joining another church just now is repugnant to me. My thinking might change down the road, but what about this one left-over WTS explanation of Revelation 18?

Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues.

The WTS understanding of Babylon the Great representing false religions MOSTLY makes sense. I would add that it represents ALL religious organisations. If that's true (and if there is a different/better interpretaion of BtG, please PM me), then a more or less palatable church than the JW's is just another element of this harlot. Personally, I miss the association at the hall. I knew some very nice people and wish we could still hang out. I liked that, for the most part, they were clean, moral people who shared my appreciation for spiritual things. That has been a big loss for me. But I'm not sure, according to my understanding of the Revelation account, that the situation can be fixed by stepping back in to any element of a religious system disapproved by God. My .02
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

irondork: I miss the association at the hall. I knew some very nice people and wish we could still hang out. I liked that, for the most part, they were clean, moral people who shared my appreciation for spiritual things. That has been a big loss for me.

IRONDORK: So then, WHY are you OUT?

If ALL the other religions are part of BtG -- world empire of False religion -- then is WTS/JWs also part of BtG (assuming that you found falsehoods there too)?

It does indeed sound like you are experiencing the "Where else shall we go?" dilemma. (Yes, I know that is a mis-quote.)

It is one of the reasons I still have one foot in the (KH) door.

But I'm not sure, according to my understanding of the Revelation account, that the situation can be fixed by stepping back in to any element of a religious system disapproved by God.

Do you still think that there is ONE religious system APPROVED by God? If so, I wish He had a better PR agent.

DOC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Nontrinitarian denominations mostly sound like "other" cults:

Modern nontrinitarian groups include Unitarian Universalist Christians, Bible Students, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, Friends General Conference, Iglesia ni Cristo, Jehovah's Witnesses, Latter Day Saints, Oneness Pentecostals, and the United Church of God.

The Unitarian Universalists don't really sound like a cult, but they do sound awfully free-spirited, allowing any and all beliefs. That doesn't sound like what you want, but if I were forced to go to a Christian church, I would try that out. I like their creed that they really do not have a creed but that they are unified by a shared search for spiritual growth and by the understanding that an individual's theology is a result of that search and not obedience to an authoritarian requirement.

I would think that rather than try to find a "church" that fits your beliefs, you should focus on your own beliefs without a "church." Reading about Buddhism would help someone see that they can have personal spirituality without religion.

• irondork
    irondork

DOC: IRONDORK: So then, WHY are you OUT?

I am out because I saw the error of my being there.

You qoute me: irondork: I miss the association at the hall. I knew some very nice people and wish we could still hang out. I liked that, for the most part, they were clean, moral people who shared my appreciation for spiritual things. That has been a big loss for me.

"I knew SOME very nice people." Despite the fallacy of the WTS, most people on this forum admit that the majority of the individuals trapped inside are basically good people. Just terribly misled. Remember "followers of followers, victims of victims"? The loss of association with basically good, kind people does leave a gap. How do you leap from that to not understanding my reasons, or even questioning my reasons, for leaving? How do you get from my admission of missing a few friends and a revulsion for religion in general to the opinion that I struggle with "Where else shall we go?"

DOC: If ALL the other religions are part of BtG -- world empire of False religion -- then is WTS/JWs also part of BtG (assuming that you found falsehoods there too)?

It is my opinion (and ONLY my opininion) that ALL religious organisations are being referred to in the Revelation account. It's easy to see there are good-hearted people strewn throughout the realm of religion all over the world. I think it is by virtue of the individuals heart condition, NOT GETTING ALL THE DOCTRINES JUST RIGHT, that God is calling out to people to get out of her. It's interesting that the text reads, "Get out of her MY PEOPLE." Why is he referring to people in false religion as "my people"?

...for all hearts Jehovah is searching, and every inclination of the thoughts he is discerning. - 1 Chronicles 28:9

They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them and, between their own thoughts, they are being accused or even excused. - Romans 2:15

No, I don't think there is a religious system on this planet that is not corrupted. I think they are all ruined to a greater or lesser extent and they are going down. Perhaps at one time they served a purpose, I don't know. But I think the Revelation account is referring to all religion.

• extractor
    extractor

Hi Freedom,

Most towns / cities have a "community" church which is non-denominational. That might be a nice place to begin. The only way you can know is by trying it out. DON'T get frustrated, it may take a while to find the right "fit" for you. I visited 8-10 different churches until I found a great one that I love. I don't know what kind of music you like, but don't be surprised that many churches use drumset, guitars, etc.

Hmm... I'm not sure the Quakers would qualify for "very Bible based" since they accept any religious document (Koran, etc..) as truth.

Best wishes!

• Bella15
    Bella15

Ask Jesus, The Good Sheperd, to come to look for you and He will guide you to a group of Christians believers ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit