If JW commits suicide can funeral be held at KH?

by scooterspank 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

WT 15th July 1975

Questions From Readers
    ? What viewpoint does God's Word indicate that Christians should have toward suicide?

Jehovah as the source of life has decreed that human life is precious, sacred. (Gen. 9:5; Ps. 36:9) Hence, suicide, which means the taking of one's own life, or killing oneself, is condemned by the Bible. Such intentional act is self-murder. (Ex. 20:13; 1 John 3:15) The few suicides mentioned in the Bible are of those who were unfaithful to Jehovah and who failed to consider that their lives really belonged to God.-1 Sam. 31:4; 2 Sam. 17:5-14, 23; 1 Ki. 16:18; Matt. 27:5.

One who intentionally takes his own life does so in utter disregard for the sacredness of life; he becomes bloodguilty. When one commits suicide while in possession of one's mental faculties, this shows one to be void of morality, lacking faith, having no fear of God. It is a cowardly act, where one refuses to face up to the problems and responsibilities of life. If the person claimed to be a true Christian, the act would violently break his relationship with Jehovah. Suicide may be the giving in to pressures from demons who encourage self-destruction. (Matt. 17:14-18) This extremely self-centered act of murder manifests no love for one's surviving family members, no love for one's congregation and friends, and no love even for the surrounding community, as it brings shame and distress of mind upon all associates.-Mark 12:31.

In most countries it must be a public officer, sometimes called a coroner, who officially reports the cause of death. While a report of suicide may be submitted by the officer, yet it may not be in harmony with the facts. For example, in one such report of suicide, three weeks later clear evidence came to light that the death was due to a freak accident. So, circumstances must always be taken into consideration. Was there mental illness involved? Was the person in his right mind? Was he culpable or blameworthy? In many instances it is difficult to get to know all the facts.

What, then, should be the attitude of members of a Christian congregation as to attending funerals of reported suicides who may have been associated with the congregation? What about an elder who has received a request to conduct such a funeral? Where death appears to have been accidental, even though it was reported as a suicide or may have involved mental illness, the consciences of some members of the congregation may permit them to attend the funeral to comfort the bereaved ones. Also, it is left up to the personal decision of an elder whether he will conduct such a funeral upon request. However, the congregation may prefer not to sponsor such a funeral publicly or to have it in the Kingdom Hall because of the effect it may have on the uninformed community.

On the other hand, where it is a clearly established suicide, members of the congregation and elders may desire not to become involved in the funeral. In such cases arrangements would be left to the family itself for a private funeral where some member of the household might say a few words for the sake of the relatives. Furthermore, some may not desire to attend a funeral of one who is believed to have committed suicide where the funeral is conducted by someone other than a member of the congregation or by the funeral director himself at the request of the family.
    As lovers of righteousness we leave the matter in the hands of a merciful, all-wise God as to any possible future for some of those driven to suicide. We who are lovers of life, holding every day of life sacred, endeavor to conduct our daily affairs and associations in a way that will merit the approval of the One who gave life to humankind.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Yes. The funeral talk is a pre-recorded JW advertisement that plays the same, regardless of cause of death.

• Quendi
    Quendi

When my best friend killed himself 25 years ago, the funeral was held at a mortuary and not the Kingdom Hall. His widow asked the man who had originally studied the Bible with him to give the funeral talk, and this man flew out from New York to do so. He gave a wonderful talk that was a great comfort to everyone in attendance, a talk that wasn't an advertisement for JW theology, but instead focused on the wonderful man my best friend was, the tremendous pressures he could no longer endure, the tragedy of his suicide, and the hope that Jehovah would indeed grant him a resurrection.

It was interesting to me that Tom's widow refused to let any of the elders speak at his funeral. I completely understood and supported her decision. They were absolutely useless in helping Tom deal with his problems, and while I am fully aware that this suicide was Tom's decision alone, I know the elders in the congregation were a great source of pain and trouble to him. So they had forfeited the privilege to say anything at his funeral, and their decision to not allow it to be held at the Kingdom Hall only reinforced his widow's determination to shut them out of presiding or assisting in any way.

Quendi

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

in the 80s a friend of mine committed suicide.....................Use of the Kingdom Hall TM "Denied"

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I knew an elder (previous P.O) that commited suicide. The other elders beagn a hush campaign that resulted in us outright lying to the cong saying "the report on his death is not back yet" until after the funeral. Then even after that it was made known that you would not get an answer.

Half of me thinks ....feck it.... its private, what right did we have to know anyway. Also screw the society.. give the man a funeral at his church... the other half of me knows that in the same hall, same elders, same cong... if a publisher did it they would be going to a ceremony at a gov building.

Those wankers in brooklyn really are disgusting people. The worst thing is, there will be no justice for them, save that they have thrown there life away too for a book company. "Get out of her my people..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit