My Story

by DINKY 10 Replies latest jw friends

• DINKY
    DINKY

After years of hard drug use, My boyfriend (now husband) and I finally quit when I got pregnant. I went strictly to "marijuana maintenance." While staying home with my new baby, a witness started calling on me and eventually offered me a bible study. My husband said, "you know, if you keep being nice to those people, they're gonna keep coming back!"
    I didn't mind. I was happy to learn there is a God, and I thought studying the bible was cool. I came to love Jehovah so much and wanted to be in good standing with him that I even tried to quit smoking pot. I failed many times. I finally told him, "look, I'm doing this for you, so if you want me to quit, you're going to have to take the desire completely away from me." And you know what? He did.
    From then on, religion was my new obsession. I busted my a** in the borg: dragging my two small children to all the meetings and assemblies, aux. pioneering twice a year, making my 10 hrs. a month in service. I wanted to please people and found that the cong. readily accepted and encouraged my obsession.
    After 8 years, I was drained, disillusioned, and depressed. I saw that in many ways dubs were worse than "wordly" people: they were hypocrites! They condemn the world while they find loopholes for their own misconduct. They were drunks, liars, gossips, etc. But after hearing for years that "there was NO SITUATION that the elders could not handle," I believed it.
    I happened upon some Vicodin in my grandmother's medicine cabinet. After that bottle and the 6 refills, I started going to different doctors complaining of back pain to get more. I eventually started buying Valium and Xanax on the street because they were easy to find and mimicked my drug of choice. When I ran out, I went nuts! One day in desperation, I asked a neighbor for some pot. Marijuana for me is a spiritual killer. I felt so disconnected and depressed. I cried every day, even while smoking, but could't stop.
    I finally told the elders I needed to talk with them. I met with two of them - men I had known and "worshipped on the podium" for years. When I told them the situation, their faces didn't budge, their emotions didn't change. They told me: I was being selfish, I needed more meetings, service, and personal study. They said that since this was a personal matter, they wouldn't tell anyone else except the PO. They finished with "we're really concerned and want to help. Call us any time."
    The next week, each of them approached me after a meeting and asked how I was doing. Another week, they waved and said HI. A month goes by and they're too busy to look at me. I'm hurt. I stare at them as they give talks about bringing people in to the loving cong. They avoid eye contact. I'm pissed. Months go by and when I walk in the hall, they run in the other direction. Yet they still have the courage to stand up there and talk about the loving elder arrangement.
    My drug use goes from bad to worse, much worse. I reason that if the elders don't think it's a big deal, I shouldn't think it's a big deal. If I'm not worth their time and love, maybe I'm just not worth it.
    My husband catches me shooting up cocaine at home. He tells me get clean or get out. I agree to rehab. I call the elders and say I need to meet with them. I meet with one of the original two (my book study conductor) and the PO. I say directly to the PO, "you know about my problem." He played dumb: "uh, I thought that was a few years ago." "No, it was 6 months ago." I tell them about my drug use. Are they mad? ("what the hell were you thinking?") Were they worried? ("you could have died!") Were they apologetic? ("we're so sorry, we didn't know your problem had gotten that bad.") No, their faces didn't move. They were cold, indifferent, and detached.
    Something finally clicked in my head. I saw that there was something seriously sick about these men. I began to prepare emotionally for my JC.
    At the JC, I played the truly repentant, don't-hold-a-grudge, witness. The PO ATE IT UP! (He's an egomaniac!) He told me that obviously I hadn't applied the counsel I had received 6 months ago. (what counsel?) He then stressed to me that Jehovah would NEVER forget what I had done. My book study conductor sat there looking stupid - he can't help it. On a positive note, the 3rd elder, the other original, opened with an apology for not showing more concern after the initial meeting. He almost said "we" but then stopped short and only apologized for himself. He looked like he was going to cry. The other 2 just sat there. I was privately reproved.
    Although I had played nice at the JC, I knew it was a crock and began to fear the org. I prayed to Jehovah, "look, if you want me to stay, I'll stay. But if I and my children are in spiritual danger here, make it clear to me and I'll go." I continued going to meetings until God provided an answer.
    One night when leaving the hall, the once-sorrowful elder comes running out of the hall to talk to me. He says, "We need to meet with you. A JW couple saw you smoking cigarettes in public. It is a form of spiritism and a serious offense." I almost laugh! "You weren't too concerned when I was smoking pot." He gets very defensive: "We gave you counsel and we thought you had applied."
    I walk away. I get some calls to come to my JC. No thanks, go ahead. I finally get a call from the PO saying I've been DF. Yea, I figured as much. He says, " you're kind of like a puppy. Sometimes a puppy wants to be whipped and punished. They want attention." Yea, whatever, you pervert!
    And thus my prayer was answered. I have been set free from a spiritually diseased religion that uses guilt and powermongering to control its members.
    Thanks HP, and thank you all for listening and understanding.

(insert words of wisdom here)
    DINKY

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi Dinky,
    Now is the time to take control of your life, after all that! I hope you are doing better. Here's a favorite of mine, and though addressed to a man, it works for all in many ways. Peace to you!
    Randy Watters

if

If you can keep your head when all about you

are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too:

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream and not make dreams your master;

If you can think and not make thoughts your aim,

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same:

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings,

And never breathe a word about your loss:

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: Hold on!

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much:

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And which is more, you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

• larc
    larc

Dinky,

Your story illustrates quite clearly, the inability of elders to deal with problems of any severity. They are not educated, either formaly or through their organization regarding, substance abuse, mental illness, marital counseling or any important social issue. If someone set up an office and gave peole advice and they had this level of ignorance, they would be sued for malpractice.

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Hey Dinky,

Some of the things that you shared with us I can relate to. Even though I was raised as a JW, I picked up the habit of smoking when I was a teen, had premarital sex, would shoplift from time to time, experienced cocaine and marijuana once, would lie to get out of a jam, and I never got caught. I never really liked the witnesses, because I did not think they were nice people. I seemed to see right through them.
    But then I got tired of the wild life after I turned 20 and I began to feel like a true sinner. I felt so bad for being so bad. I was like you in asking Jehovah to help me to be good. I never felt in my heart the joy of being involved with the witnesses like so many others claimed. I really, really, did not like them. But they had instilled in me that the witnesses were the only ones with the truth and so I felt that if I was going to have Gods approval it had to be among them.
    I stopped smoking cigarettes, which was the hardest thing to do. I had given up all of the rest earlier. Then I got baptized. But do you know that I was angry on that day. I did not want to do it. It seemed that I did not have anywhere else to go. God, if I had only been exposed to more of the world outside of the borg. I had developed low self-esteem because I was not a clean little virgin anymore and had tasted the badness of the world. I was a bad little puppy that I allowed all of the witnesses to either pat on my head for being good or kick for being bad. When I did things that would bring harm to me it was because I didn’t think that I was important.
    Oh do I have stories to tell. I will tell it all one day.
    I learned after years of being kicked to start kicking back. Through much research and exposing myself through my occupation with people in the know, I have gained self-esteem. I began to love myself first so I can love others.
    My advice to you dear Dinky is; find out ways to began loving yourself.

Pureheart

• DB
    DB

Hi Dinky, and welcome. I was saddened after reading your story. Certainly, you should have received more assistance. As larc says, the elders are not really able to handle such issues effectively. When I served as an elder, I was not trained to handle such problems effectively.

Basically, the elders are more or less conditioned to believe that when someone is attending meetings, everything is fine; and yet they obviously missed the fact that not all was well with you despite the fact that you were at the meetings. Also, they are conditioned to tell people that more meetings, field service, etc. will be the cure-all. Hence, they seldom if ever are able or willing to help people to really overcome problems. And, the fact that they more or less ignored you for such a long preiod of time is sad indeed, though it does not surprise me at all.

• DINKY
    DINKY

Thanks for all your kind replies. I love the R. Kipling poem.

I am moving on. I've taken responsibility for my life, my spirituality, and my recovery. I'm in college too.

The only reason the borg urges people to go to the elders is so they can do damage control, not to provide practical help.

Dinky

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Hi Dinky,

Sorry to hear your story, hope you continue on the road to recovery. How typical of the Society...you can drink and drug yourself into oblivion if you keep it private, but god help you if someone sees you smoking an ordinary cigarette in public! Damn hypocrisy, so sickening.

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Welcome to the board Dinky!
    I personally never used drugs but have witnessed many in my family become addicted and stay addicted, Even the JWs. I have witnesses how the elders are really of no help to those with problems and my heart hurts for those seeking their help. I myself was a JW for only about a year and left after reading the Bible for myself and seeing that many of their beliefs were not grounded in scripture. I am now a Christian because of this. I have been through the getting clean act with many friends and I know its not easy. I also know that "cleaning ourselves up for God" is pointless- we'll never be good enough on our own before a holy God-- But whats the upside ?
    That God, in his grace, doesn't require that of us. He asks us to put our trust in him and he'll help us with our problems! God has gotten me through some horrible times in my life and I'll be praying for you! If you ever need to talk -email me and again:
    WELCOME!!!!!! <>< Angie

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Welcome, Dinky! I'm so glad that you finally have been able to get your life turned around, but I'm sorry that you had to experience the "true Christian love" that is offered by JWs.

Not only are the elders unqualified to help anyone with serious problems, but most of them honestly don't care. The ones who do are few and far between, and they tend to burn themselves out.

My husband was also disfellowshipped for smoking. Odd thing is, he had given it up before we got married, but shortly after the wedding he became ill and was laid up for six months. During that time, although I repeatedly asked the elders to visit him or ask others to visit so that he could be encouraged, no one ever came.

Then, my husband became totally discouraged and went back to smoking cigarettes. His cousin reported it to the elders, and within a couple of weeks, three of them were at our apartment threatening disfellowshipping. Not one of them could take the time to encourage someone who was ill, but they certainly made a point of rushing out to protect the "image" of the congregation.

When we asked that one of them come to study with my husband to encourage him and help him, one elder did agree to do so. Three weeks later, he called and apologized for never showing up, stating that he "forgot" about the study. He never came after that either.

Such is the "love" of "God's true worshippers".....yeah, right!

• JT
    JT

great life account thanks for sharing it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit