MOTOWN HITS ,,,, we need another music thread!!

by talesin 100 Replies latest social entertainment

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

this thread made me think about Sam Cooke

another saturday night

cupid

change gonna come

• designs
    designs

nancy-

Trivia question: Who was the R&B songwriter in Sam's backup singing group.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Lou Rawls ?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hey Talesin - The Chi-Lites are not under the "Motown umbrella" so to speak, they're music was popular in the 70's, same time as other Motwown groups, but they weren't signed with Berry Gordy . . and that's my bit of trivia for the day . . !

I think they were part of the "Philly Sound" if I'm not mistaken, can't remember name of the label they recorded under.

• designs
    designs

Bobby Womack

But don't you just love hearing Lou Rawls in the background of Sam's 'Bringing It On Home to Me' Hmm Yeah hmm yeah Yeeaaahhhh

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

I love Motown, but can we also make this a DooWop thread? I always view them in sort of the same light.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Was Bobby Womack part of Motown? I just started listening to him the past couple of weeks. Every now and then I go through Soul and old school R&B kicks, plus I love Hip Hop which often samples old records. I finally got around o Bobby Womack last week, and he was dope. But was he Motown affiliated?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I got all the MoTown stuff..Dis white boy got some soul..

Ya Baby..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I got all the MoTown stuff..Dis white boy got some soul..

Ya Baby..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

And you eat KFC!!! You're ok in my book.

• talesin
    talesin

designs --- oh, that must have been so cool, to see those greats! ... ah, back in the day.. :)

MsDucky - You, me & designs all love Smokey - mine is "Tears of a Clown" ,,, and thank you for the reminder of Jr. Walker and that great song,,, as for the Sexy vid,,, ahahahahaha!!! Can see the family resemblance, knowing it's BG's grandsons ... esp. the guy w/ the braids.

Nancy Drew -- ah, Sam Cooke. smooooth!

ShirleyW -- absolutely correct! I mix things up on a regular basis. :D

I checked Wiki, and seems it is a bit confusing ...

The Chi-Lites are a Chicago-based smooth soulvocalquartet from the early 1970s, one of the few from the period not to come from Memphis or Philadelphia.

But,,, they do have the 'Philly Sound', and it's funny, was IMing w/ a friend about this song a night or two ago (what got me thinking about Mo'town), and we weren't sure, either.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit