CRB CHECKS FOR ELDERS IN THE UK ?

by Hairyhegoat 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

I was just wondering if ministers of religion in the UK have to have the same checks done like the one in Australia? The elders and ministerial servant's and all the members who are baptised are all ordained ministers for the WTBTS. They all have contact with children and as such all of them could be a pedo and hide it from the elders at the hall. I know loads of cases of sex abuse of kids at the Kingdum hall I went to. The JW religion is the perfect hiding place for pedo's. I want all in the congregation who are ordained ministers of the WTBTS checked just like the Australian Government has forced the WT to do. Cantleave can you confirm you were checked when you were an elder in the UK ?

This subject needs more attention in the UK.. What do you think ?

HHG

• cofty
    cofty

I agree HHG. My understanding is that the current government have put the whole process on hold pending a review.

It appears that the requirement to obtain a CRB certificate is being abolished in favour of a simple list of persons banned from working with children.

Home Office website

The situation in Scotland is very different though they have a system at least as stringent as Australia. I am certain elders in Scotland do not comply.

Disclosure Scotland website

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Thanks Cofty for the information. I think Ceaders needs to take a look at this. We could open up a can of worms with this if the WT in the UK have not had these checks done on their volunteers at the kingdum halls...

HHG

• wobble
    wobble

I have long said that this needs sorting out here in England/Wales and N.Ireland. I think a good time would be on the back of the ruling when we get it from OZ.

Regardless of the outcome of the case, it will be a good way of getting the media spotlight trained on the terrible situation within the JW organisation here, and no doubt many other places around the World.

Once the principle is established that ministers are required to be CRB checked, (so at a minimum include MS's if not all JW's, they are all ministers so they claim),once that has been done, we still need to campaign for them to actually have an active working programme to protect children and the vulnerable.

We had an Elder who preyed upon the mentally unstable young sisters , they were all adult, not children, no CRB check would have shown anything on him at the time.

CRB checks alone are not enough, as any responsible body in the U.K knows, a stringent policy demonstrating itself in best practice is required.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I really do not know why the WTS is so reluctant to have its "ministers" take a CRB check. If there was something in anybody's record I am sure that they would want to know about it. Assuming that in the vast majority of cases there will be nothing found, what is the harm?

I knew some people in my old job who did some voluntary assistance in local schools and it was normal procedure and accepted that one had to agree to be checked in that manner

What is the big deal? Perhaps they just do not like "The State" knowing who are their elders, and being involved in any way?

• cantleave
    cantleave

No official check in my day. But they did start asking if you had ever been done for a sexual offence a little while after my appointment.

I think CRB checks should be compulsory for Elders in the UK.

• dozy
    dozy

Following the infamous Michael Porter case in 2008 ( the paedophile elder who abused many children , including an 18 month old infant , and was jailed but got away with a public reproof ) , the WTBTS undertook to formulate a Child Protection Policy. I have several times written to the Charities Commission (copy of typical response below) about this promised formalisation & in every instance was told the the WTBTS were still "working on it." To my knowledge , they still haven't finalised or published it.

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/851111/religious-charity-told-create-child-protection-policy/

Dear ***,

.... I would confirm that the Commission is currently liaising with the central body, Watch Tower Society Bible and Tract Society of Britain (registered charity number 1077961) in respect of its child protection policy who are looking to review the contents of the policy to ensure that it is fit for purpose....

.... I hope that this response is helpful, but please do not hesitate to contact me again should you have any concerns regarding your local congregation.

Yours sincerely

Mrs Jacqueline Seatle
    Head of Assessment Unit
    Charity Commission, Liverpool

Albeit reluctantly , I would expect the WTBTS to eventually require CRB checks in the same manner that has happened in Victoria , Australia. Almost every other UK church & charity insists on it - why should be WTBTS be exempt? Even the local badminton club had to go through the procedures. The one thing that drives the Society above everything else is the fear of litigation , so inevitably they will have to comply , otherwise they will surely eventually be found liable when the next paedophile scandal comes to light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit