witchcraft and the movies

by jiutman 12 Replies latest jw friends

• jiutman
    jiutman

Just wondered if anyone can give me a suggestion. I have a very good friend who is a JW. We were having a discussion the other day and I told him I recently sa the movies Harry Potter and The Lord of the Ring. He looked at me and said that he never watches movies with demons, magic and sorcery in them. He is often very arrogant about being JW and being in the truth. He happens to be a HUGE Star Wars fan and I asked him about "The Force". I told him that the force was the same thing as magic. It is a power that does not come from God. He got very defensive and noted that the movie calls it the Force and not magic. I asked him what the difference was and he would only say its the "Force" not "Magic". I them watched the original Star Wars and found where "The Force" was referred to as a religion and as sorcery. I told him about this and his answer is the same. I guess i am asking for other peoples experiences with a JW where the JW looks down on you and then tries to explain away the action that they take to be ok. Just Curious.

Jiutman

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

I think it's a very common human failing, the inability to see our own faults while exposing the foibles of others. JWs just stand out more to us because we're more accutely aware of that culture.

That, and they have so many silly rules that they trip themselves up more easily.

Hmmm

• LDH
  • Justin
    Justin

I don't know if the WT has specifically commented on Harry Potter or not. I have read reviews published by church-organizations very similar to the JWs, and they are against Harry to one degree or another. All conservative Christians are against witchcraft (not to offend any Wiccans that might be reading this).

I personally have seen the movie, as I feel it is necessary sometimes to expose oneself to the surrounding culture, and certainly Harry seems like he is going to be familiar to generations of children just as Micky Mouse was familiar to us. So, we'd better find out where the culture is going whether we approve of it or not.

But to answer your question as to how JWs can engage in such double think, my experience was that they will abide by the pronouncements of the organization but then do what they please in areas that have not been specifically ruled upon by the WT. It think it is because they are forced to lead such restricted lives to begin with that they may indulge themselves whenever they find a gray area that the Society has not ruled upon. It's as if they need rules for everything and really have no conscience of their own.

Instead of acquiring the "mind of Christ" (1 Cor. 2:16), they acquire the mind of the organization.

Justin

• Sunchild
    Sunchild
    All conservative Christians are against witchcraft (not to offend any Wiccans that might be reading this).

*snicker* Don't sweat it. To me, this sort of thing is pretty much old hat.

*Rochelle.

---------
    "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
    -- Professor Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.

• qadreena
    qadreena

in our cong we had a platform talk about why you shouldnt watch sci-fi movies or movies with magick in, he went on about having to live in the real world - jehovahs world - not a man-made world, dont remember what he said about the magick though

xxx angel xxx

• butalbee
    butalbee

<shaking my head at the stupid WT rules>

I couldn't get my ex to watch the Exorcist.

But he loved the X-Files, Stargate, Star Wars, etc...

• avengers
    avengers

Is it allowed to watch Happy Days?
    The Fonz isn't what you would call "Theocratic"

• Trixie
    Trixie

I asked a JW student of mine about reading the Harry Potter Books. She said she could read the books, but couldn't watch the movies. She really didn't have an explanation for it. Maybe when she reads the books she can imagine Jehovah behind the magic.

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

Seeing a Kingdom Hall go up in two days? Now that's f***ing demonic! Oh, I forgot. The walls are made out of cardboard....

"Brother, you better get down on your knees and pay...a thousand more fools are being born every f***ing day" -Bad Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit