Not if, but when...

by teejay 14 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

I was raised in the truth.

It was about six weeks past my fifth birthday when my mother was contacted by "Jehovah's People" and a few months short of my sixth when she got baptized a half year later. That was the summer of 1962.

Because of my experience with the truth from such an innocent age when thought patterns were first being formed, one of the tricks that was played on me – one of the lies that was passed along – is that some of those of my generation happened to be among the most fortunate of all of mankind since some of us would never die.

If I did my best; if I tried hard enough and did everything that was within my power to do; if I found favor with the Most High God, I might well be one of those who'd never taste death at all but live right through this world's End into a global Paradise. A remarkable possibility! One I lived with for the next thirty years.

With mixed feelings of sadness and gratitude, I finally woke up.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but unlike most of the other billions of Earth's people, it took *me* a while—decades—for a very simple truth to finally sink in: I'm just like every other human who has ever lived. One inescapable fact of that reality is that one day, if I'm one of the lucky ones and live long enough I'm going to continue to age, my body is going to continue to lose it's vitality, I'm going to get sick and my body will have lost its ability to recover from it. Death, I discovered after nearly a lifetime, is not a matter of "if" but "when."

Having lived so long without even the thought of death crossing my mind, I will say that sometimes... sometimes... the thought of dying, of leaving this earth and going off into an endless oblivion — forever — scares me. I don't really care for the thought, to be honest, but I don't see how I can get around the eventuality. The older I get the more I think about it. More and more, the celebrities that I grew up watching on TV or in the movies who pass away (not to mention my own relatives and loved ones) are closer and closer to the age I am now. Some have even died younger than my 44 years.

It's not ALL bad, though. There are definite advantages to knowing the truth about my end.

One is that since I know that one day I'll be gone, what I determine is important, the choices I make, are usually centered around this newfound truth. In the past, what might have been important or seen as worthwhile all of a sudden becomes less so when viewed in the context of, uh... eternity. The trappings of success become way more trivial when compared with other, more meaningful things such as maintaining strong relationships, fair treatment of others or doing what little else I can to help humanity find higher ground. I also know that I will never find "greatness" in this life but I won't waste as much of my precious time, either.

It's not a depressing thought, so if you think that or that this is one dreary subject you'd rather avoid, you'd be wrong. Learning that the length of my life has a limit is kind of empowering, once I thought about it. Since I know it won't go on forever, I'm careful of how I use it.

One day I'll be somewhere—in a hospital room surrounded by loved ones if I'm lucky—and I'll think back on TODAY. Will I be happy about how I spent Friday, February 15, 2002, or will I have regrets?

No great message here. Just thinking out loud... on the Internet.

• tdogg
    tdogg

Right on TJ. I have been mulling over that same subject recently and I think you just nailed it. It was nice to believe that we would not grow old, that the earth was beyond harm, and that everything was going to be wonderful someday. Its not the truth though. I agree with you that it makes what we do now seem more, not less important. I am thirty now and I have to accept that I will now continue to age though I spent most of my life believing otherwise. It is the way it is. Oh to be the ignorant fool again...kidding.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well put teejay. I am actively avoiding the inevitable thoughts about the inevitable, when possible, but they find their way into my conciousness every now and then.

Right now, I think I'll push them aside and comment on this statement by you:

it took *me* a while—decades—for a very simple truth to finally sink in: I'm just like every other human who has ever lived.
    I don't know about you, but that realisation (and it encompasses so much more than just the certainty of death) was perhaps the most liberating epiphany I have ever had.

If all people, upon learning the truth about the Truth(tm), found that same feeling of liberation, this place would carry a lot less pain. Attitude is everything.

• Xena
    Xena

With another birthday looming just around the corner I have to say this thought of eternal death has crossed my mind. Frankly it scares the hell out of me. I guess that is why a part of me clings to being an agnostic...my shred of hope for something after this life.

The good that I have gotten out of this realization of almost certain death is that I now live my life for today, not for some "fantasy" future. I will have my children NOW, I will explore new places NOW, I will fulfil my dreams NOW and not spin my wheels anymore waiting for the perfect world. So while I mourn the loss of my hope for the future I rejoice in the freedom to enjoy life I have now.

All and all I would have to the the blessings outweigh the curses.

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Xena, I agree with you. I still believe that there has to be some sort of higher power, but what if there isn't? Do we live and die and that's it? That's what really scares me! That one day I will close my eyes and that will be it.

If that is true then I will live my life for today!

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Teejay,

Abbadon made a great point in a another thread:

Knowing that there is no future event or afterlife to live for means we don't put today on "hold". We live everyday.....yes LIVE it!!

That's very energising. One can sit and feel like we have no meaning in life (as most thinkers have felt at some point) because of the discovery that religion/god is a fairy tale. On the other hand we can also realize that "hell I only have one turn" and I sure as heck am going to try and have fun everyday.

• TMS
    TMS

Dear friend, teejay:

a topic near to my heart: death! LOL!

I equate the new world/system/order hope with the teenage invincibility syndrome. Teenagers are not, of course, more courageous than their adult counterparts, just unaware of the dangers.

Twenty years ago when my employer first offered 401k, it seemed like money-down-a-rat hole in my new order mindset. It wasn’t only that death in this system seemed mathematically unlikely, but “where was my trust in Jehovah?”

Now, like you, I not only think about death. I incorporate it. My wife and I discussed just this morning that we had finished our last bit of unfinished business. Finally, a happy son.

Sort of a euphoria has set in for us. Most everything looks good, smells good and tastes good. Even North Texas terrain with its stark winter dormancy looks good. The goldfinches look good. Mr. Redbelly Woodpecker looks good.

Take care.

Tick, tick, tick . . . . . .

TMS

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

Me and my sister and brother used to talk about what we would do, where we would live, and where we would go when the 'new order' came. I think it was mostly a fantasy escape for us, because we were very poor. We would drive past beautiful homes and hope to live in them in the 'new order'. Oh, the delusion.

• kilroy
    kilroy

Wow! This one hit me right between the eyes! Since I was never to grow old and die I should still be 29 years old. Here I am 69. Get out and enjoy life? Would that I could. Severe depression, chronic fatigue and a battle with the bottle that I am still working on. I hardly have the energy to take a shower let alone getting back to the ice arena. Bastards! Yes, I am still angry.

Kilroy

• flower
    flower

(((((((kilroy)))))) i wish i could help you in some way. the things that are keeping you from enjoying life are things that are within your control. you can beat them. if i can then i know anyone can.

take care,

flower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit