Great..i'm Craving Brussel Sprouts now. Way to go shelby *

by Voices 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Voices
    Voices

Ok so, i'm craving Brussel Sprouts now...

i'm thinking ,(i'm at work and hungry so i feel like talking about food so bear with me)what you (shelby) said "sauted in a little olive oil with minced garlic and shallots... topped with toasted garlic bits and... wait for it... BACON!! Oh, yeah... uh-huh, "

alright so i'm thinking, olive oil with garlic and ginger, shallots (so far yours?) with some salt and pepper just for base foundation.

then...I put in the chopped up brussel sprouts and let it stir...season to taste .. (i'm thinking some garlic salt and half a lemon for that 'slight hint of citrus')

i'll hav eto fry the bacon separate with bacon grease... (for it to evenly cook) then pour the entire concoction together to flavor everything not only with bacon but with the grease as well. Add red crushed pepper (cause i'm a brown butt--uh.. indian man.) Add chopped mushrooms (a little later so they don't get too soggy). I'll have to shred some pepperjack cheese (lots of it ..half a cup full) with some Mild/Medium Cheddar (half a cup full). i'll mix those two together, and gradually put it into the pot slowly stiring... Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and stir. Then! i'm thinking put it into a 9 by 13 Glass oven pan, ..maybe preset to 350 degrees. put some Italian Herbs bread crums on top and shove it in the oven for 10-15mins.

Then ....take that whole thing, and throw it in the trash.

Me

• AGuest
    AGuest

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad, dear V (the greatest of love and peace to you!). My cooking "style" however, is KISS. I was raised by people from the South... and often spent my summers down south... and so there wasn't a lot of fancy-ness. There was, however, GREAT flavor (you know, the "make you wanna smack yor mama", kind!)... usually brought on by the basics: onions, garlic, bacon, salt, and pepper. What southern folk can do with those can be out of this world. It's when folks start "sperimentin'" that things can go awry.

BUT... a little bacon grease (or at least the bacon bits in the pan bottom!)... crushed red pepper (ooh, I DO like a little "heat"!)... chopped mushrooms (non soggy, yes!)... and cheese (who doesn't like cheese in the vegetables??! Isn't that the easiest way to get kids to EAT them??)... sounds fab, to me. I love ginger, yes, so... I would have to see, but can't see the harm.

The cream, however... well, I dunno. I don't really care for mushy green vegetables (I mentioned that in my collard greens post). But what you're describing sounds like a delish cassarole (with the bread crumbs making it even more "heavenly") and so, because I do like to cook, I think I'm gonna try it. Can't say when, but will certainly let you know when I do!

Thanks and, again, peace to you!

SA, on her own....

• sizemik
    sizemik

Brussell sprout soup is awesome! . . . made with sauted sprouts and cream . . . and some other stuff.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Ick. Hubby loves Brussels. I keep trying, just can't appreciate them.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Brussel-ly sprout soup, dear Size (peace to you!)?? Ooohhhhhh... that sounds YUMMMMM! Got a recipe?

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• still thinking
    still thinking

yummmmmm....I love brussel sprouts!!!....that recipe sounds good too...throw it this way Voices

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Got a recipe?

My wife makes it . . . I just eat it.

I'll see what I can manage . . . it's worth spreading.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I love brussel sprouts. I don't understand why they have such a bad reputation.

• Voices
    Voices

Shelby:

Actually i'm a huge cook. I LOVE it. So, yes, that receipe was infact genuinely put together and with the thought process, and then somehow realized no one's going really care for a recepie on this post and turned into a lame joke. I thought i'd be funny to end it wiht a joke. But I was infact serious. I made it, when I got home too! XD (save the heavy cream, i forgot to get that at the store). I'm a 'little bit' (actually being modest) of a food gourmet chef. ...Not much of a baker, unless it requires for tastes on meats/chickens in the oven after sizzling, so it creates that baked flavor with full thorough heating. I usually make things out of thin air, sort of speak and my best recepies are not following a specific recepie but going with the flow and thinking 'i should add, .....and this...and this..etc..' and POW! ....Bobby Flay would be jealous!(not really) Anyhoo....big cook...

Me

• watersprout
    watersprout

*WAILS* Why, oh why is there a thread devoted to brussel sprouts??? Can you see what the evil little balls of greenness are doing?? They are getting into everyones head! Before you all realise they will be the only vegetable you will eat! Where will that leave all the other veggies??? The whole food chain will collapse and it will be because of the *GROWLS* BRUSSEL SPROUTS!

Grabs all the brussel sprouts and throws them into the special fire devoted to the elimation of the evil things!

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit