New career at 30 - suggestions/ideas?

by i_drank_the_wine 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Bella15
    Bella15

Are you in the USA or in Europe? I live in the USA.

A few years ago I found myself short of money b/c my exhusband stop paying child support ... I found a weekend/partime job as a Non-Medical Caregiver ... there are different levels of non-medical care that you need to provide and feel comfortable with. In my case my job was companionship for elderly couple night time shift ... I worked fri, sat, sun nights, first every weekend, then every other weekend, then only as needed, now I quit b/c I don't need the extra income anymore as thanks God I am fine now.

Anyway I was in a similar situation, goggled ways to make money fast and Caregiver came up as an option. I found a job right away.

Mine was not a career change, just something like a bridge to help me make it through and prevent rough waters from rising out of control ...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I would say you have three good options,

1; In the uk and USA there is reasonable amounts of funding for setting up new business, new enteprise. If I was in computing I would lean towards a cloud consultant. Spend a month getting up to date then advertise/market yourslef as a consultant..go consult. If you want to get out of IT altogether then think of a business that would interest you and make the most of these stimulus loans as the countries encourage growth.

2; education, education, education. Sign up and you can dode the recession bullet whilst you live off student loans and grants whilst being trained in a new profession. Pick the course/degree well. Your age is not an issue at all and you will find people older than you if you tru this. So go to your local college, if you have the school grades go to your local university.

3; Hard work -easy money, window cleaning, garden treatments, work as a carer, go to your local hospital and ask to work on the nurse bank- they train you from scratch and you earn good money. *Warning* all these jobs may make you feel like a pioneer.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What Color Is Your Parachute by Richard Bolles is excellent. It is the best selling career/life planning book in the world. He suggests you use investigative research techniques to find your interests and then research options. Besides landing a career, the process teaches skills that are useful outside of career planning. I'm doing a version of it now. Bolles doesn't say here are the magic jobs and lists them as many HR people do. It works for corporate and alternative jobs.

The U S Department of Labor posts many resources on its website.Certain types of schools offer courses in how to decide which field is the best fit for you.

Many churches, local govts and ngos offer job clubs. People can meet and discuss their issues. Resources are shared.

Networking is the best way to go. Bolles hates resumes. The rub is that, despite their drawbacks, the custom is resume. Not supplying a resume is a flashing neon light that you might be hiding something.

• mrquik
    mrquik

I switched careers at 32. I had a high level management position but began hating every day I went to work. Got an offer in construction. Started at the bottom & worked my way back up. The difference is I love my job. Find something you have a passion for. With the skills I've learned. I've built my last two homes. Find something you're good at & go for it. I worked at Kodak when I was 19. Made good money. Hated the job. Went into human resources to give my two week notice. The old man I talked to said " Son, I want you to reconsider leaving Kodak. When you get older, you'll regret leaving." I looked at him & said " When I get older, I'll regret many things, leaving this place won't be one of them." Good Luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit