Having a Religious Experience

by breakfast of champions 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Awhile back I asked my wife what was the most "religious" experience of her life. For her, it was one time we sent to see the NY Philharmonic. The program was particularly moving, and we both agreed that the feeling was borderline "orgasmic." I found it funny- and hopeful- that we both felt the same way.

She also agreed that she never felt this way about anything in "the truth." yeah, some of the big Yankee Stadium conventions had their moments, but certainly no "religious experiences" happening there. More like wet seats and cold burritos.

I always thought I felt something "comforting" about praying, although I wouldn't call it a particularly religious experience. It felt good to unburnden your worries and feeling to "a higher source" and leave it in his hands. I had always had a feeling of peace from that.

That all ended when I had what I would call the opposite of a "religious experience" when my brain got sick.

I felt like an animal. The fear was overwhelming. And every prayer I attempted did not reward me with any sensation of peace or comfort or anything. I was just speaking into the air. There was NOTHING THERE.

I had two thoughts: either there really is NOTHING THERE, or that god is so weak, or doesn't give a crap, that his "spirit" can't even overcome a few bad chemicals and misfiring neurons in my brain to provide me just a LITTLE comfort. Anything. If he could do anything for me, now was the time.

With the help of some good doctors, and drugs, I've gotten my brain back to as close to normal as it will get. But I also now realize that the "spiritual connection"or comfort or peace I was getting through prayer had nothing to do with any communication with god. It was all me. And it's pretty well documented that this is what is happening to most people when they chant, or sing or spin a prayer wheel or whatever they do to make that spiritual connection.

Ive even done little "experiments" on my own from time to time when under stress. Ill say a little prayer to "little green men" or "a unicorn fairy" and unburden my load and leave it in their hands. It actually works quite well, even though I don't believe it for an instant! It's almost like a placebo.

So, has anyone else had a "religious experience"? or discovered that their prayers never actually left their head?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Considering how people are received here when they do share their religious experiences and add to that the general tone of your post, why would you think that a person would be inclined to share such a personal experience?

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I think that this is much like the reason many of us talk to our self when nervous, it calms us down and makes us feel better.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

PSACRAMENTO - Understood. I guess my problem is I truly do not understand what it is to have "a religious experience" as, according to WT doctrine, I was never supposed to have one in the first place! And yes, my cynical tone is not particularly conducive to getting any positive response, but it comes from my personal experience, and the fact that I am in a particularly crappy mood today!

MANINTHEMIDDLE - I agree there seems to be a therapeutic value in "talking to oneself" -- just not aloud on the subway.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I thought I had one once. I was pretty sure it was what "anointed" people feel like. Now I'm fairly confident that it was just a rush of chemicals. I'd love for it to happen again so I can analyze it better because at the time I just rolled with the feelings.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I share your feelings . . . the crappy mood that is.

Interestingly it's not uncommon for psychological counsellors to recommend prayer for those who are religiously inclined, in my experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit