Beards and Overstepping the Commandment of God

by Darth Rutherford 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Ha! No I don't have a beard. I did write the Society a few years ago about the issue. They give jurisdiction to the local bodies to decide (...who of course speak on behalf of the Governing Body.) A few years later, I did grow a beard for a couple of months to see what would happen. Actually, the congregation was split... some liked it, some didn't. The ones who didn't said it was unacceptable because it was "worldly." You all know the drill... same story everywhere...

I saw Worlds Apart serveral months ago. I liked the movied, and noticed the beards as well, but always knew it was acceptable in other countries. It's acceptable in this country among everywhere NOT a JW.

There aren't any articles anywhere stating beards are unacceptable. That's the thing... no clear directive, but dogmatic control over the congregation. The elders can't cite a reference other than their own feelings on the matter. That's dangerous for the poor publishers in the congregation who just follow their marching orders.

Amen Quendi... amen.

I'm glad to finally have an outlet to vent. Speaking one's mind is a dangerous thing in the congregation... especially with the apostate witch hunt going on.

• BroMac
    BroMac

I feel you Darth Rutherford.

i'm not a fan of facial hair personlly, by that i mean i cant see me ever wanting a goatee or big muzzy on my top lip or whatever.

it's a struggle to hold myself back sometimes, when i'm faced with pharasaical reasoning. I just cant help telling the bro's or the sisters who wish they were brothers, to just hang on while i reach inside my bag and look it up in the Talmud.

in my experience it has been the 'collective conscience' of the local elder body that would decide on beards. 2 of the most gifted teachers and genuine 'shepherds' i know are elders with beards. but there are many congregations who will not allow them as a visiting speaker. it upset me when i first discussed it with them, and my thought process was not too disimilar to how Darth Rutherford went through above. but they just accept it the 'norm'.

the only law i'm aware of that the R&F would not neccesarily be aware of is strictly no beards anywhere near an assembly platform.

if its in scripture it's there for a reason, if it is not then it's for our reasoning to decide on. each one will carry their own load.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Great first post! Here here! Welcome to the forum.

The Witnesses I grew up with would always refer to anyone questioning the watchtower policy on beards as "nit pickers." How ironic, right?

-Sab

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I usually grow a beard when I'm camping. But, lately, it makes me look older. So, I shaved it off. Some do look alright in a beard. But, I don't think that sisters should wear them.

The society is being dogmatic about this. Don't know when they will change that rule.

• yesidid
    yesidid

But, I don't think that sisters should wear them.

Chauvinist pig.

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

This is one rule I never could defend as an elder. And of course I now have a beard (Omar Epps, Mike Tomlin style) and everyone loves it.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Welcome Darth Rutherford....

there was a rather interesting discussion about beards on this site a while ago...here is the link...for your enjoyment

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/214983/4/To-shave-or-not-to-shave-That-is-the-question-A-fun-subject

• ssn587
    ssn587

I have been wearing a goatee for about 1 1/2 years now. Only got stramge looks at first, I ignored all of them, had several comments about it and said my grooming is my business and not yours so butt out. that seemed to take care of the comments, except at assemblies and district whooplahs, told them to to butt out, and did ask several what is your problem? I don't and didn't take shit off of anyone on the goatee, it is my business and not theirs.

• oompa
    oompa

ITS NOT ABOUT THE BEARD! i told my wife on my last days attempt at cult exit....it is about whether men who claim to speak for god have the right to make up rules not found in his word...if you believe that sort of thing....

i asked my wife which cult has it right? as to how to groom your beard or wear one...the amish cult on the left...the hasidic jews on the right....or the jws in the middle?.....then i told her i did not want to know what jws teach on the matter since she had just told me she follows god and not men....so i gave her one hour to show me from the bible what god wanted me to do with this natural stuff he puts on my face every day....and why it matters to him anyway???

and right when her head was about to explode looking in the appendix of her reference bible....she decided not to give a real answer but to launch into how horrible it is to stumble other and to never do ANYTHING that even MIGHT stuble someone!!!....REALLY?!?!?!? she reads the paul stop eating meat or i get a millstone tied to my neck and go swimming.....so i asked her about her make up and fake blond hair jewelry and would she give that up and ALL MEAT not just sacrificed to idols.....and duh i asked if she never heard of people being too easily stumbled in wt articles or talks....and duh she said yes?!?!?!?!?!....so never do ANYTHING that MIGHT stumble somebody even though some people are too easily stumbled....

so i explained to her that i would tell that person that sorry....i am not shaving my beard for you because you obviously need psychiatic care for your very unusual beard phobia...and that if i shave mine others will not and you will have to learn with nice neat beards you poor thing...

and there is a reason amish beards are so weird looking....their leaders require beards on face and under lip with none over lip...jws say beard over lip ok...but none allowed under lip....go figure....

so she should have loved me enough to help me know from the bible which cult if any is right about what god wants us to do with this stuff he has put on every man and woman in the world for the most part since the big inning.............oompa

ITS NOT ABOUT THE BEARD!

but it did make my funny list here of 40 plus things that go beyond what is written in wt land

• Ding
    Ding

If the WTS truly believes that Armageddon will come any day now, why do they worry about facial hair?

After the Titanic hit the iceberg, was the captain concerned about whether his tie was on straight?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit