Which Bible doctrines are incontestably established on scriptural evidence alone?

by bats in the belfry 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Just asking: Is it just the 10 commandments? Or Jesus' teachings of the beatitudes?

• wobble
    wobble

I don't quite understand your question. I don't know of any doctrine that is incontestably established.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

To many Christians and some Jews, practically all doctrines are established on scriptural evidence.
    To many people, none of it is established on scriptural evidence alone, but includes people's interpretations and/or feelings and cultures.

• sir82
    sir82

I've never had a problem with this verse:

Ecclesiastes 11:3

If clouds are full of water,
    they pour rain on the earth.
    Whether a tree falls to the south or to the north,
    in the place where it falls, there it will lie.
  • bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

wobble > I've been coming across the phraseology "unscriptural teaching" on their WT CD quite a few times, i.e.:

...the majority of churches teach the unscriptural doctrine that man has an immortal soul that survives death and lives on in the spirit realm.

...it is perhaps a reflection of the perplexity that this unscriptural doctrine aroused that Limbo has been eliminated from the most recent Catholic catechisms.

...Jesus did not confine his works of physical healing to people with faith. (John 5:5-9, 13) So his activity gives no support to the unscriptural doctrine of faith healing.

...it gradually crept into apostate Christendom in the third and fourth centuries of our Common Era. Especially was this the case after the year 325 C.E. when the Council of Nicaea adopted the unscriptural doctrine that Christ was God.

...Protestants are also part of a religious system that includes in its theology the unscriptural doctrine of God-inflicted eternal torment.

...what about Christians today? The fact is that there is no Bible command for or against either burial or cremation. Nor usually does burial instead of cremation help to distinguish true Christians from believers in the pagan idea of an immortal soul; today some of the chief adherents of that unscriptural doctrine are found among churchgoers who normally bury their dead.

...further, the Socinians found the doctrine’s so-called Scriptural supports to be quite weak.

...it is incontestable that the doctrine cannot be established on scriptural evidence alone.

In contrast to which is deemed an "unscriptural teaching" by WTS , which Bible doctrine(s) stand on their own, without any elaborate reference works of heathen origin?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit