Apostate originally meant "Runaway Slave"...!!!

by ziddina 11 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

According to the Oxford dictionary - and this is a fact that has escaped the attention of the American dictionary companies - the Greek origins of the word "apostate", originally meant a "runaway slave"....

How fitting!!!

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/apostate

• Scully
    Scully

indeed!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Some slaves are so unfaithful and indiscreet--the nerve of them, running away from the overseers!

• talesin
    talesin

how apropos~

yes, 'slaves' running from the 'overseer' to another 'circuit' so they won't be 'punished'.

I've been thinking about that language lately, and it's interesting to learn this, zid. tks.

tal

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

So, seeing that the 'great crowd' are the domestics and the faithful slave is, well, a slave...

Those who leave the JWs cannot BE runaway slaves!

Only the slave can be runaway, and indeed the so called 'faithful slave' has well and truly done a runner!

Oz

• still thinking
    still thinking

So....does that mean that only the GB and the annointed can be apostates?...LOL brilliant!!!!!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heh, heh...

My pleasure, talesin, but the credit actually goes to a lady in a Facebook group called "No Paradise for Us - wink, wink!"

It's a facebook group for ex-jehovah's witnesses...

If you're on FB, check it out - it's one of the few sites that I find worthy to waste my - er, spend time upon... Other than JWnet, of course!!

• talesin
    talesin

lol!!! I pm'd you. :)

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Talesin!!!

Checking my PM's right now...

• james_woods
    james_woods

Did anybody tell Teary Oberon? This may come as a shock -

Share this

Google+