Is it important to be right?

by mankkeli 12 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

When ones life is focus on only being right you end up causing many to be hurt. Being right is not the answer. I saw two elders many years ago who were angry with each other over a matter. Both were right on their position but at the same time they were both wrong. Why? Because all it did was divide everybody and cause great harm to the whole congregation. It ended up hurting everybody instead of helping them. So being right is a very dangerous position to take. Now with that said being flexible with your thinking and understanding ones view point goes a long way in bringing people together. To me this is more important than being right all the time. Totally ADD

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

gotcha meangirl - I understand your position.

strangely enough we are taking a critical look at the myth of Zeus and Ganymede. This myth, as portrayed in the Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite, seems to foreground beauty and honour in the relationship between them as well as love and sexual desire. But I think in todays thinking, and very rightly, such a relationship (if it was physical and not only spiritual) would be considered criminal as Ganymede is a young adolescent and Zeus a 40 year male. But this was right in the culture of the period and for a very long time after. what made it alrgiht was that 40 year old males took young adolescent boys under their wing and taught them politics, saw to their education, equipped them for warfare etc - in other words helping them become a citizen. The boy's honour was paramount and there were laws to protect them from sexual exploitation. the training was valued by the families of the boys.

I'll start another topic if anyone is interested in a discussion as i don't want to derail mankkeli's thread.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Sometimes debates are waste of time, it is time to move on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit