WT selling Irish branch office...

by NVR2L8 10 Replies latest jw friends

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Just another corporate re-adjustment? Read the description...I wish my property benefited from the same luxuries.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1012/1224305632482.html

• Quendi
    Quendi

I didn't know there was a WTS branch office in Ireland. I still wonder why that was so since there were so few Witnesses in that country anyway. Selling the property was something that probably should have been done decades ago.

Quendi

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Maybe they know something about real estate that others do not. They seem to be divesting everyplace.

• yesidid
    yesidid

It's only fifteen years old.

• wobble
    wobble

I think it has been vacant for a while, but they still get volunteers to keep it looking good while they try to sell it.

Once sold, where will the money go ?

Yet again they show there acumen as real estate experts, selling at the bottom of the market.

The Holy Spirit is not much of aprperty dealer .

• nugget
    nugget

Whilst it is true that they are not making the best of the market they will still be making a huge profit. After all most of the work to build would have been free labour they will rake it in. What is shocking is how little this money will actually benefit the rank and file. This is a religion that is all about making the centre rich and hoarding wealth. I wonder if the year book will feature any of this downsizing activity and relate how much they made.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

It looks as if the branches have stopped branching.

The squids tentacles are being chopped off ( I did say tentacles)

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Nugget,

You are right when you say the WT still makes a huge profit regardless of the price they get for their properties...it's all about the money. The best example are the assembly halls. Local brothers built it for free, pay for the land and materials, the deed of the property belongs to the WT society who in return charges a high rental fee every time the brothers (who built it and paid for it) use it! These brothers don't even realize the $20,000 cost for a week end is way more then what maintaining the hall costs...This is a 180 degree turn from the original plan of having our own assembly hall to save on rental, moving of equipment and cleaning dirty old halls we used to rent for CAs. I remember having to clean up the Canadian Slovak hall in Montreal...until we started using the auditorium in my High Scool...

• Quendi
    Quendi

You're right, yesidid, and thank you for pointing out that the branch office hasn't stood for "decades" as I erroneously stated.

I have been to Ireland and learned a few things about Irish life and culture that made me wonder how Jehovah's Witnesses could ever make great inroads there. The article stated that there are six thousand Witnesses on the entire island counting both the Republic of Ireland and Ulster. Anyone wishing to become a Witness there must resist tremendous pressure from friends and family who would be adamantly and unalterably opposed. The hold of the Roman Catholic Church on the population is strong, although it has been weakened somewhat recently by the horrible pedophile scandals that have rocked the Church.

As far as I'm concerned, there never should have been an Irish branch office in the first place because the number of Witnesses there, plus the very slow rate of growth, didn't justify one. Maybe the WTS finally recognized this as well and decided to bow to the inevitable. Finding a buyer for the property might take a while, though. The Irish economy is in the dumps and the country's real estate market has imploded. Still it is an attractive set of buildings on nice land and that should generate interest.

Quendi

• lingno2
    lingno2

that shed light my notion in our region too. first the printery for sale then theres rumor that the facitlity as well; make it total branch for sale! Yes same in our country an ongoing project of own convention hall a 7 hectares i guess was halted though the fences already finish to our amazed there was a resolution to meet the monthly maintenance in 8 consecutives months in order to continue the construction but after a year or more it was declaed sold!...assembly halls were sold and wit bros. including D.O. make a big profit from 300k purchased from society in a wise maneuver they sell it for 2.5M. Wow, no wonder he ask for a retirement shifting to Special pioneer and a lot more magic of buying and selling, not to mention public documents of separation of marriage from officiating ministers though we don't have divorce here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit