JW leadership vacuum - explained!

by sir82 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

JW leadership shows an appalling lack of creativty and originality.

-- Meeting attendance down across the board? Let's keep the same 1940's format anyway!

-- Missionaries quitting their assignments? Rather than redesigning the school, just kill the program!

-- Pioneers Assistance Others Program not generating much interest? Kill the program!

-- Book studies in homes lead to close friendships and stronger congregational ties? Kill it!

-- Hundred of millions people embracing social networking? Condemn it as Satanic every month!

-- Elders keep screwing up judicial cases? Herd them into a 5 day school and don't teach them anything they haven't heard 500 times before!

The utter incompetence of the leadership is quite striking when you consider all the organizational changes of the past 10-15 years. What are these guys smoking? Can't they see that their flock is downtrodden and depressed? Why don't they try something interesting? Or at least different?

Well, consider this: How does one advance up the "ladder" in the organization? By being....obedient!

Have a good idea on how to improve efficiency when you are a territory servant? "Oh no, the Society says we do territories this way!"

Make it to elder....have an idea on how to help kids, maybe keep some of them from getting into trouble? "Oh no brother, the Society says we don't run youth programs...just encourage them to be pioneers and all will be well."

Make it to CO...have an idea on how to motivate BOEs to show concern for the congregation? "Well brother, you know that the education the Society already gives elders is more than sufficeint."

And so on up the line.

Creativity, originality, thinking outside the box...whatever you call it, it's quashed as soon as it raises its head.

Fight against the strict conformity? Fight too hard and you lose your "privileges".

Conform, conform, conform? March right on up the ladder.

So who makes it to the top - the service department, the governing body? Those who have proven over decades - sometimes 4 or 5 decades - that they are especially adept at mindless conformity and obedience. Any ability to develop new ideas was smothered eons ago.

So is it really any wonder that the Society keeps doing the exact same things, year after year, and then wrings their hands because "the friends don't respond"?

Other organizations encourage, nurture, develop, and reward leadership skills. The WTS encourages, nurtures, and rewards mindless obedience to concepts and structures developed 60 or 70 or more years ago, by people long dead.

• wobble
    wobble

And may their ineptitude continue until they are no more.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Their inablity to change with the times will lead to their death.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ doesn`t care about the Average JW..They never have..

As far as the WBT$ is Concerned

If you don`t like the way things are run you know where the door is..

If you keep complaining, the WBT$ will help you find the door..

......................;-)...OUTLAW

• erbie
    erbie

You mention the book study group in homes.

I wonder if they abolished it to give themselves greater control over what R&F members are taught.

It makes me wonder if they viewed the book study group as an ungovernable and informal area in which apostasy or independant thinking could creep in.

Having everything in the Hall definately gives them more control, right?

• Ding
    Ding

Sir82,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I think CoC reveals clearly that the GB doesn't want efficiency and initiative. They want obedience and docility.

The GB doesn't see JWs as brothers and sisters with unique gifts and a lot to offer in Jehovah's kingdom.

It sees rank and file JWs as constantly straying sheep who need to be kept in line and controlled via endless rules and regulations.

• Giordano
    Giordano

When I first found this forum back a year ago someone wrote about being invited to bethel to help out the printing and graphics department. Anyway at one point in time he was having a discussion with the head of the department and noticed a very expensive graphic printing machine that cost a million dollars and it wasn't being used. He asked why and the answer was that they hadn't found someone who could run it who was spiritually mature enough. The society hasn't changed a great deal since I left in the 1960's. It occurred to me way back then that the society was set up much like the Soviet Union. The communist way gave special privileges to those who were most doctrinaire in their approach to what ever issues came up not the most qualified. Negative news was hidden away all was well right up to the moment when it all collapsed.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have a query triggered by the post. What is necessary beyond obedience? Do organizational skills help or do they hinder b/c you can't be shepherded so much since you have the skill. Just curious. I don't really understand how anyone besides Russell and Rutherford became leaders. No one ever asked or explained.

• ambersun
    ambersun
    Other organizations encourage, nurture, develop, and reward leadership skills. The WTS encourages, nurtures, and rewards mindless obedience to concepts and structures developed 60 or 70 or more years ago, by people long dead.

This is a brilliant post sir82, you are spot on with your analysis. We are living in an ever changing world where innovation and fresh, new ideas are the only way to keep any business or organisation afloat, especially when it involves capturing the enthusiasm of today's young, vibrant, techno savvy generation. Why, for instance, should JWs in 2011 feel inspired to go out knocking on peoples' doors as they did in the 1930s and 40s? We live in an age of instant access, when messages and images can be blasted around the world within seconds via internet or phone!

The elderly men at Brooklyn are already so far out of touch with the youth of today it is laughable, they are having to rely on guilt tripping the parents and grandparents in order to keep the youth in line, but they must realise they are fighting a losing battle by insisting on keeping to these outdated concepts.

• sir82
    sir82
    What is necessary beyond obedience?

Literally, nothing.

Everything a Bethelite, ministerial servant, elder, CO, DO, Branch Overseer needs to do, is written on an instruction sheet or manual somewhere.

Do everything exactly as written, no variation, and you get approved and eventually "promoted".

That's it - follow orders and be rewarded. The end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit