Muscle testing, applied kinesiology, and just plain being wrongheaded

by JimmyPage 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My wife's family have been JWs for generations. We all know that the Watchtower had crazy ideas about health early on and were usually at odds with the medical community. So it's no surprise that my in-laws are big on non-traditional ways of treating ailments.

But for years now the Society has printed articles and preached in assembly talks against applied kinesiology, or muscle testing. So you would think that a good JW would listen to that and fall in line.

But no! My in-laws all continue the practice and insist it has real value. My wife's mother has even used it in the past to answer yes and no questions, which is basically akin to spiritism. A friend of mine compared the practice in general to water witching, which I thought was apt.

To me I think what I'm dealing with here is a stubborn streak in this family to refuse to admit they are wrong. I think it goes deeper than just the usual JW thinking that they are never wrong in their religious beliefs. I think the general "I'm never wrong" attitude has contributed to their staying trapped in the WT but I also think it goes beyond that because what the Society currently teaches about these practices is being completely ignored.

What do you think of all this? Anybody else run into similar situations?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

My EX (thank God) IN Laws were WAYYYYY into this!!! the MIL and SIL used it to answer every question they had!!! they are both insane with it!! Oh and "good" JW's!! I hated it!! they would test me without asking.... for real! My SIL told me I had a negative influance becasue of a stone that was in the trunk of my car????

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

And yet they probably thought they were super Witnesses, right? I mean, how do you justify this superstitious nonsense "in light of present truth"? (gag-sorry)

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

oh and MIL believed in "chem-trails" too!!! and they though I was the one that lost it by leaving???? I may be mentally diseased but so not insane!

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Did they read books like "Eating For Your Blood Type"? Were they afraid of the evils of immunizations? They once got on to me because my driver's license said I was an organ donor. I mean, how outdated were their ideas?

• designs
    designs

In my time as an Elder I had to deal with a lot of these 'Health' issues among the JWs. Parents not wanting to have their kids immunized, natural birth (as in no doctor around only a mid-wife, or a doctor with no backup emergency plan, that resulted in the death of the baby), gazing into eye-balls, hovering hands over a persons body, operations worsened cancer (air made cancer worse), botched circumcisions, relocated areolas, dick enlargements, vagina tuneups the list went on and on..........and no formal training as Counselors, yikes it was a nightmare.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Could you elaborate on the relocated areolas? Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny.

• designs
    designs

A sister wanted more aesthetically matching breasts and had the areolas relocated, I can't believe some of these doctors sometimes, he didn't warn her of nerve damage, she lost feeling in the nipples.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I'm resisting the urge to say, "What a boob!"

• designs
    designs

I dealt with stuff that would have baffled Solomon,and zero training, it was nuts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit