How do you feel about Occupy wallstreet

by d 35 Replies latest social current

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I think there are good points being drowned out due to bad presentation in a few areas. I went down to (what's left of) Occupy San Diego to see what was going on last weekend. There were the occupiers clustered around a blood stain, which had been claimed as the blood of a young lady getting cracked by the cops as they raided the encampment in the Civic Center plaza. There wasn't any marching, just people standing around. There were more cops than protesters, but they were also just clumped in groups. I was a amused by subtle tension of everyone just standing around, but afraid (or unwilling) to go near each other.

The ground was wet from being power-washed. I saw some open jars of peanut butter from the few people on the outside with actual signs. Only a couple protesters seemed to be open to talking to myself and my gf.

We asked some cops what happened, and they were quite friendly to us. They told us about how one shop owner had to close her business down for good, since people robbed her store in the plaza. The cop said it was due to people "having nothing to do" with the movement, just there to cash in on the mob of people. One officer said he agreed with their message and thought it was needed, but mentioned that the real OWS crowd was only there for about two weeks, then the looters and troublemakers came in.

On November 4, we took another gander at the brave souls still camped out on the sidewalk in the rain. I saw one lady with a sign in a poncho. Kinda hard to keep the momentum up when, as the officer told us, about 50 people had been arrested.

--------

I can definitely see these protests as the symptoms of a nation frustrated to the core with how things are going--first the Tea Partiers, now the OWS people. Banks play fast and loose with toxic mortgages, then they screw up only to get bailed out? That ain't right, no matter what your political orientation is. My personal beef is with the health industry and insurance companies, but I'll admit I haven't done too much research into how the health insurance industry operates, so I'm not sure I can articulate what the problem there is.

• talesin
    talesin

NC

My UU pastor said something very interesting this Sunday. She said that by keeping us all fighting each other, the powerful get their way.

Spot on! I said the exact same thing on several threads,,, no one acknowledged my comments ... the argument just kept ragin on .... I'll repeat myself again, though... divide and conquer --- it's the oldest trick in the book.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

SirNose --- it's pretty simple, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, there are lots of details, but it boils down to one word: GREED.

tal

• designs
    designs

Protesters marked the 6th month anniversary of the movement with protests in Lower Manhattan and Zucotti Park. Cecily McMillan was arrested and suffered a seizure from the rough handeling by law enforcement.

• designs
    designs

US Drug companies, Military Contractors, Banks and Wall Street Firms are on a record setting pace to pay more penalites for Fraud and Corruption this year: $8Billion so far.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Their complaints are very legitimate, but the way they go about it is not the most effective one, and that will end up having the opposite effect of what they intend. They are misguided.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit