still trying to get my head cleared

by beccaskids 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ding
    Ding

Hi Becky,

Welcome!

Crisis of Conscience is a great book.

If there's anything you'd like to sort out and PMing back and forth would help, I have time to talk.

• bioflex
    bioflex

First off welcome aboard.

All i want to say is that it all depends on what you aim for. Its never easy for anyone, in life we all have to make decisions and live to face the consequencies of those decisions. Stand fast in the faith, and know that you dont need any third party to set you right. Jesus is all yo need.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

beccaskids, Welcome! I was also raised from birth in the JW cult. It takes a long time to unravel. I'm still working on it. This board has been the biggest help to me. All the books that have been mentioned are helpful also. Keep reading and posting.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    i like reading the bible but sometimes i dont understand what is being said which is why the watchtowers i thought helped me but im finding they didnt i guess,yep confused as ever...

The Watchtower wasn't really explaining things accurately to you. Some of what they write is true, but the important things are flatly incorrect. Can you be more specific as to what confuses you? You almost have to start from the beginning and throw out what you have learned from them. There are many resources available out there to help you understand the Bible, a tremendous amount of information, from books and videos to web sites and TV and the radio. Don't ever give up on the Bible, but give up on what most of the WBTS has taught you. Libraries are filled with information, from simple dictionaries to encyclopedias and books written by some very knowledgeable people. Some university libraries are stacked to the ceiling.

One of the JW lies you need to get rid of is this notion that you have to be a bible scholar, that you have to become fluent in the nuance of Bible truth to gain salvation, because by grace you are saved, through faith, and not due to works (Eph. 2:9). We all have different roles, and salvation is not some near-insurmountable obstacle the Witnesses have made you believe must be overcome. You really have to begin at the beginning, the basics, and it will all come into focus. The burden is lite. Here are a few resources that might help.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/jehovahs_witnesses_research_resources.html

Also, spend some time at online Christian forums like http://www.christianforums.com/ where you can probably find answers to most of your questions.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Crisis of Conscience and Combating Cult Mind Control are two of THE BEST books for clearing up any confusion about Jehovah's Witnesses. I was raised in it, too, and didn't leave until I was in my 40s. It's never too late. You can do it.

• beccaskids
    beccaskids

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome! I'm still trying to get my head cleared, too. I called in professional help for the job.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

All good advice so far...just wanted to say, "Welcome!"

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Hi Becky!:) Yes, it is difficult to get the cult mind-set out of your head. My favorite book on the topic is the Steve Hassan book on Cult Mind-Control.

I have been in and out for a long time, but officially out since April. I went to one meeting after the Memorial. I received Jesus in July.

I also ask Jesus for his help. I am many times too in the JW mind-set to pray to the Father. That is why He provided His Son for us. To make it simple for us. Really, it is simple, because once that first step is taken, we are provided with a Helper and Teacher. http://www.bible.ca/ntx-praying-to-jesus.htm

1 John 5:1 If you believe that Jesus is the Christ, that he is God's Son and your savior, then you are a child of God. 1 John 2:27 and you need no one to teach you, because the anointing that is in you.

JOHN 14:16-18 NKJ
    16 "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever,
    17 "even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

JOHN 16:7 NKJ
    7 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.

JOHN 15:26 NKJ
    26 "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.

Oh, and please get a Bible that is easy to understand. I love the Living Bible to start out with. The NWT is not only hard to understand, but leaves things out and adds things. Instead of saying "Christ in me" which is what the original Greek says, and their own Interlinear says, they have added 3 more words. It makes me so angry!

love to you and yours, Sister SOG

• talesin
    talesin

Welcome to the board!

If you are a bit uncomfortable at some churches, there is a church called "Unitarian Universalist" ** that you may enjoy attending. I am not religious myself, but they are well-known for being inclusive, and wouldn't be criticizing anyone, including the JWs.

... just a thought. :)

tal

** there is a fairly recent thread discussing this; threads can be found by clicking on Search at the top of the page, and typing in key words

(edited)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit