Serving Jehovah - by Law or by Love?

by TimothyT 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I have started reading In Search of Christian Freedom by Franz. The idea of searching for Christian freedom is very important to me, and I already know that this book is going to be VERY helpful in this regard. On pages 12 and 13, I read something which has been on my mind recently regarding the removal of the Mosaic Law and its replacement with love through Jesus Christ. Franz illustrates the point:

“Consider a home where the husband is both a father and the prime wage earner. If he decided to exercise headship through a list of laws, setting out specific rules for his wife to observe, laying down the law as to just how the house should be kept, the method and days and times when she should care for all the household and family responsibilities—the cleaning, shopping, preparing of meals, caring for clothes, disciplining of the children—such a husband might have a very orderly home, with things functioning according to schedule. But he would also likely have an unhappy wife. He might have whatever satisfaction it would bring him to see that things were being done according to his code of rules, enforced by his authority. But he would never know if they were motivated by love.”

Everything would be heavily organised, but the one who is under authority may likely be unhappy due to all the oppressive rules and regulations. I thought the last sentence was poignant.

“By contrast, a husband who believes in the power of love and kindness, whose thinking is not governed by a false sense of superiority but who respects and trusts his wife, recognizes her intelligence, her ability to care for things with personal initiative, who believes that her interest in the home and family is as keen as his own, and who acts toward her in accord with this knowledge, may likewise enjoy an orderly, well-kept home, though one with a far more relaxed and happy atmosphere than the other described. He may attain this by good communication and discussion, preferring and seeking shared conclusions and decisions, rather than some mere show of arbitrary authority. When he sees a home that is neat and clean, meals well prepared, clothes cared for, or finds that his children have inculcated in them a fine respect for him, he can know that all this is done as a result of something other than a compliance with rules. He can have the genuine satisfaction and joy of knowing that it is done out of his wife’s love for him and their marriage and family.”

This illustrates the concept of Christian Freedom. God allows us to serve him out of love. If we do serve him out of love, and not by conformity to rules and atonement for sins, etc, then he will be satisfied and joyful with our wholehearted service to him.

“The external results in the two cases may appear to be the same in certain areas. But the inner results are enormously different. The key is in the difference in motivation and spirit. And that is the difference, as regards the effect on the way one lives as a Christian, between being under law and being under God’s gracious kindness through Christ Jesus.”

It appears that motivation is everything. Do we serve God because we have to or do we serve him because we want to? He prefers the latter.

“Surely God’s wisdom is manifest in this. Love and faith, the true “rules” of the Christian, can reach innermost thoughts and depths of the heart. They can touch and affect every facet of life in a way that law and rules can never accomplish. Because of not being under law, the Christian is put in the position of showing what he or she really is at heart. And that alone counts with God.”

I agree completely that replacing the old law with love shows Gods wisdom. Compliance to law does not show how righteous a man is, but showing love does. As mentioned by Franz, not only is this the case, but serving God under love is not exasperating, unlike serving him under laws. Perhaps this should serve as a lesson to any Jehovah’s Witnesses who believe that salvation is in an organisation which requires strict compliance to hundreds and hundreds of laws, regulations and principles. Is that was Jehovah wants?

Timmy xxx

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

JWs don't know what love is so how could they know to serve God by it? They serve rules that they think God has put in place. Look at shunning, that is not loving. Modern day Pharisees, that's all the GB is.

• beccaskids
    beccaskids

thanks for this post i enjoyed reading it and put some clear undertanding i needed.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL. It's all true TimothyT. I always wondered why the Witnesses were so weird- it's because they are not Christians- they are Jehovahites. Many of the dramas at the assemblies are from the Old Testament, and the disfellowshipping is the equivalent of stoning, and their blood policy is from the OT too, They are really still under the Mosaic Law in many respects. It's kinda scary when you think about it...

• AGuest
    AGuest

By both, dear TimT (peace to you!): the law... OF love! Which is the basis for the NEW Covenant (Law/Testament). There is NO law... against love. Love... covers a multitude of transgressions (against [the] Law).

Love, therefore... is the Law's fulfillment.

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Just remember Timothy this is all abstract jargon. It has no real bearing on your immediate reality. If you go outside and a bear attacks you, the philosophical rating is less than one, and the bear's jaws are 9.5. Keep your priorities straight in the days ahead. :-))

Randy

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I hear you Randy! :)

Its a good point that one should not forget that although reading about how to live is good, we should never forget TO live! However, i do believe that this kind of study and the research I am currently doing in solidifying my belief in Jesus and what he has done for humankind etc, is realy enriching my life. :)

Thanks for everything you have done for me Randy. You are #1 here!

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Timothy T...

God is looking for ones to serve/worship Him in spirit and truth

“Thus says the LORD:

I will return to Zion,
    And dwell in the midst of Jerusalem.
    Jerusalem shall be called the City of Truth,
    The Mountain of the LORD of hosts,
    The Holy Mountain.’ ...zechariah 8:3

Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And Your law is truth...psalm 119:142 (Jesus came to fulfil the law...not do away with it)

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free...john 8:32

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me...john 14:6

However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come...john 16:13

that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—...ephesians 4:15

This is He who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth...1 john 5:6

These are the things you shall do:
    Speak each man the truth to his neighbor;
    Give judgment in your gates for truth, justice, and peace;
    Let none of you think evil in your heart against your neighbor;
    And do not love a false oath.
    For all these are things that I hate,’
    Says the LORD.” ...zechariah 8:16-17

AGuest is right...in that there is no law against love.

love michelle

• bioflex
    bioflex

Now the only quesion that remain is, do we love by our mouths or our deeds?.Many christians profess to love God but live contrary to His word.

how can we say we love God and not do the things he expect of us. Jesus said in

Mat 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, Lord! Lord! shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in Heaven.

Serving God in truth and love means living by his standards, which we all are bound to break along the way, that is why Jesus has always served as our mediator pleading with God on our behalf for the forgiveness of sins.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Great post Timmy. I might pick up that book. I am really struggling right now... not sure if God wants me at a church or not. Membership in a church seems to bring men into things, kwim?

Michelle, I wonder why you post what you do?

Romans chapter 8 tells us to walk in the Spirit.

John chapter 4 says: God is a Spirit and those worshipping Him must worship in Spirit. Jesus also says that if we ask Him for living water then he will give it to us. John 7:38

My love to you and yours, Sister SOG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit