Evangelical Says Mormonism Is Not Cult; Open To Saying JWs Are

by Justitia Themis 25 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

: "I know cults. I have studied them and taught about them for a long time."

Methinks he needs to study some more... but then again, to paraphrase Thomas Paine, the study of theology is nothing.

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

I wonder how much Romney paid to have this piece of PR published.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Evidently evangelicals like to define words a lot like the Borg does. If you have established schools, colleges, or universities and have a lot in common with evangelicals then you're automagically not a cult, according to this clown.

Jeez, is it any wonder some people look upon all religions as dangerous cults?

• Terry
    Terry

The whole issue is bogus.

It is Easter Bunny vs Santa Claus.

There is no "there" there!

Almost every person on earth has some crazy beliefs.

Astrology, Feng Shui, copper bracelets, Global Warming, Christianity, Serendipity, the Middle Path---there is no such thing as ORTHODOXY.

One group is a bully and dead set against an underdog. But, both are nutty in their own way.

Human imagination and a deep-seated need to believe we can escape DEATH by performing mumbo-jumbo antics is root.

Just let them scream at each other and munch popcorn in the bleachers...

• designs
    designs

Moroni vs Michael, HBO, Game On!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

If your religion spawns lots of websites for fomer members who call leaving your religion 'escaping,'....you might be in a cult. If former members need support to adjust to life outside your religion,....you might be in a cult.

• designs
    designs

Mitt's finances are sloooowly coming out. $4Million to the LDS Church in the past 5 years. How will Evangelicals feel about this generosity to a religion they do not recognize as Christian.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I think it might be fair to say that while the Mormons certainly started out as a cult in the 19th century, they have progressively tried to become less cult-like over the years.

That's my suspicion as well. Mainstream Mormonism definitely seems to be less cult-like than JWism, to my eye. For one thing, it seems much more open. We have many successful people in the larger national culture that are Mormon. They can receive an advanced education. They can be leaders in business or politics. JWism, on the other hand, forces people to keep their lives inside the Watchtower as much as possible.

How will Evangelicals feel about this generosity to a religion they do not recognize as Christian.

I think their political allegiances will largely trump their religious ones.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mormons teach bogus and racist history as fact.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

No argument there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit