Checklist for marriage

by PaintedToeNail 1 Replies latest jw friends

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Does anyone remember the check list for qualities one should look for in a prospective marriage mate? It was several years ago or more since it was pprinted and maybe in YPA. I remember at the time that the 'good, spiritual person' was supposed to look for all these spiritual qualities rather than physical ones. I remember being repulsed at the time, thinking...

Where does physical attraction come in? The thought of being naked with someone you didn't find attractive, but they were good in FS is scary.

Where does a good work ethic come in? Having employed many witnesses over the years, we know that work ethic is in short supply.

Are we going to live in a hovel? Beating off rats, having filthy rented digs because that all we can afford do to our lack of education and work ethic.

Are we going to live with the in-laws? So we can pioneer of course-heard this as an example to be followed at an assembly within the last 2 years.

What about the sex? Is it missionary position all the way? Or can it be so much more.

Will the partner try to maintain some sense of personal pride in their appearance or will they stop caring once married (applies to both sexes), and focus exclusively on their inner person?

These types of questions came to mind when I read that checklist. The elder qualifications topic and the clothing checklist brought this spouse checklist t mind.

CJ

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't remember a checklist per se.

I checked the Youth book and the entire chapter on choosing a spouse. They keep trying to talk about qualities but keep degrading back to what not to do when it comes to dating.

"Don't kiss, holding hands will lead to venereal disease and pregnancy, don't go out without a chaperon, don't date until you're ready to marry, you should remain single forever, the man is in charge" stuff, illustrated in vintage 1950s style line drawings of teenagers necking at Inspiration Point in their 1950s cars and cardigans. ha ha

That may be the 1st time I ever read anything from that book without experiencing the gag reflex. Instead I found it hilarious. I guess it takes 20 years to get to that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit