TimeMagazine VS Watchtower

by jakeyen 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jakeyen
    jakeyen

Watchtower = JWs dont try to predict

Time = ranks JW as top 9 on their top ten list of end of the world prophecies

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2072678_2072683_2072682,00.html

SO whos telling the truth??? Did all the bethel librarys have time magazines?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Witlesses don't try to predict? Then why did they encourage everyone to sell out in the early 1970s, pretending that those college bound in 1969 wouldn't grow old? I don't think "Stay alive 'til '75" is "not trying to predict". It is blatant that they are trying to predict the end sometime in 1975, causing people to miss out on opportunities to develop a skill in the late 1960s and early 1970s that would have allowed them to retire comfortably or start a fulfilling business.

And, what about more recently? I have heard comments that this might well be the last REJECT Jesus Party--and that was 1989. They pulled that stunt again in 2007. "Our Deliverance Is At Hand"--anyone else remember hearing that as a theme of a Grand Boasting Session sometime not too far back? I believe that was in 2006. They had a waste of paper distribution campaign sometime about that year (or 2007, or both) insinuating that the Great Tribulation was about to start, even at the hands of that distribution. And so far, nothing.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

They create their own reality by repeating over and over what they want it to be until everyone thinks it's true.

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

Funny. I would have thought that these would have been included too...but I guess that Time is too PC to include any names that might upset the mainstream readers :/

Protestant leader Martin Luther, believed that the end would come in his day. He believed the Turkish war would be "the final wrath of God, in which the world will come to an end and Christ will come to destroy Gog and Magog and set free His own" and that "Christ has given a sign by which one can know when the Judgment Day is near. When the Turk will have an end, we can certainly predict that the Judgment must be at the door"

"1836 The end of the non-chronos, and of the many kings; the fulfilling of the word, and of the mystery of God; the repentance of the survivors in the great city; the end of the 'little time,' and of the three times and a half; the destruction of the east; the imprisonment of Satan."--John Wesley

“I sincerely believe that the Lord draweth nigh. We may have another year, maybe two years, to work for Jesus Christ, and, Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe it is all going to be over ... two years and its all going to be over.”--Billy Graham

• sir82
    sir82

If I knew of a particular doctor who frequently was sued for malpractice because of missed diagnoses and dangerous treatments, I would not be reassured to visit him because "hey, lots of other doctors made mistakes too!"

This is the best argument you've got? "JWs aren't the only false prophets out there"?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    This is the best argument you've got? "JWs aren't the only false prophets out there"?

And, if you think about it - they were not even the first. (and they copied most of their prophetic teaching from updating the Adventists)

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

So the Watchtower is like Martin Luther, John Wesley and Billy Graham. Amazing. They claim to be the faithful and discreet slave and are selected by God to carry his message while others are not. I guess that is not so.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

#1 on the list was the Millerites. The Time article neglected to mention that #9, C. T. Russell and the Watchtower, were mere imitators of their first choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit