Misapplied Scriptures Really Annoy Me

by iclone 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• iclone
    iclone

I know there are numerous examples that I could attack, however of all the misapplication of scriptures Hebrews 10:24,25 really annoys me. Nowhere in the context of this scripture does it refer to formalized worship. It merely encourages the gathering together of individuals. If this was so important why did not the Apostle Paul say in verse 25; “not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together at the temple, as some have the custom…” Paul was simply referring to being hospitable. Why do I make this claim? For a couple reasons; If you consider the passage at Rev 7:15 (penned by Paul) he stated that “they are rendering sacred service day and night in his temple…” Then in Mark 14:49 Mark emphatically states; “Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching…” So if the admonition was to be construed as Temple Worship or gatherings why not just state that. Was this a foreign expression to Paul the bible writer? NO.

My opinion of the application has a direct correlation to HOSPITALITY. After all this would not be the first time Paul reminded his followers to be hospitable as a matter of interest when outlining the qualifications of older men in the first century congregation; hospitality was a quality that these men should possess. In practical terms how many times have you been invited to a fellow worshiper’s home and the conversation turns into a spiritual discussion. It gives you a platform to express your viewpoint in an open and candid environment. I know from personal experience that in a forum such as this I always felt more encouraged and uplifted than any formal meeting at the Kingdom Hall. The most annoying point the WTS makes about this scripture is when they state that "Paul's words were a command and that regular meeting attendance is not optional." How the WTS loves to twist and manipulate the holy writings to exert control over the common people-disgusting!

I have shared my opinion as to the true meaning of this scripture to several people and surprisingly the majority ot them tend to agree with me. Although these days I need to be careful how forcefully I impose my opinion so as not to be labelled as “mentally diseased”.

Comments? What are some other misapplied scriptures that you would like to share.

Cheers.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

John 6:68 when Peter said... Lord who else can we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life.

A sister quoted this to me the other week regarding the organisation saying there is nowhere else to go. When Peter was speaking he was refering to JESUS! Apparntly, he was refering to a 19th century American religion! Totaly misapplied! Annoying!

There are many others such as Matthew 24:45, but this one grates on me the most!

Timmy :)

• N.drew
    N.drew

Dear iclone, that scripture misappllied was the first contention I had with the org, a long time ago.

I believe you are right, it has very little to do with gathering to worship, it has everything to do

with not cutting anyone out of your tender affections. The part that says "forsake" certainly doesn't

mean perfect meeting attendance, because forsake means leave for ever. So you don't leave the Christain

congregation you must not miss any meetings? It doesn't make any sense.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear iclone! Welcome and peace to you! I do have a couple/few comments, if I may - thank you! First, Paul was not the writer of the letter to the Hebrews. It has been suggested that perhaps Barnabas wrote it... but I don't believe that's accurate. I believe the writer was either the writer of the gospel attributed to John (which was actually written by Lazarus)... or the Apostle John. I based this on what I heard, through holy spirit... that the writer is somehow related to "John".

Even so, the while the writer was referring to being hospitable, that was not the primary situation: "he" was referring to the "gathering" together of the chosen ones... primarily to partake of the flesh and blood of Christ... together. While partaking is a daily even for some (as it was for Israel in the wilderness), there are times when the Body should come together and "share in the [evening] meal." It is not a once a year event, however, or the "first Sunday", or "mass", etc. There is no set day, month, etc.

The Body should endeavor to come together whenever they CAN... and so not "forsake" doing so altogether... "as some have the custom" of doing. That the letter was to the Hebrews shows, however, that (1) the writer was primarily concerned that the HEBREWS not forsake gathering among THEMSELVES, and (2) the "some" who did NOT do so... who apparently DID have the "custom" of forsaking it... were also members of the Body, but of other nationalities/languages, etc.

What does that mean? That while it is a command from our Lord to "keep doing this in remembrance of [him]", it was not necessarily considered back then to be a commandment that required one to do so with others... or pursuant to a specifically set schedule. My household and others that we are close to do it daily. The "daily bread." Sometimes individually, sometimes together. When we get together with those other households, however (sometimes one other household, sometimes more... and for no particular reason other than to come together in love and union with Christ)... we do it with them.

There are no "set" rules regarding the frequency or literal dates regarding this... other than love (which covers a multitude of transgressions, so if we're doing something "wrong", we're "covered")... and a desire to glorify God and Christ, together.

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Generally speaking, just about all of the Bible is "misapplied" by others, that's why we have so many religions and cults out there !

However, the most outlandish twisted and turning of the scriptures I would think belongs to cults like the JDubs who actually have a scripture that they think backs up going out in field service.

• Awen
    Awen

There was a book I read some years ago called "Christians as the Romans saw them" (I forget the author). In the book it brings out the scripture quoted by the OP and that it was written during a time of paranoi on the part of the Roman govt. So to crack down on all would-be seditious groups a mandate was passed prohibiting the gathering together of 3 or more people in groups. This is supposedly why Paul included this admonition, reminding Christians to render Caesar's things to Caesar but God's things to God. So if what the govt wanted conflicted with what God wanted then the Christians were to obey God as ruler rather than men.

It makes sense considering Paul was in Rome at the time and Rome ruled most of the known regions at that time. So it appears to not be about hospitality at all, but about maintaining unity by continuing to build one another up through association even if that meant risking imprisonment.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

For a couple reasons; If you consider the passage at Rev 7:15 (penned by Paul)

Paul didn't write Revelation, John of Patmos did.

As for misapplying scriptures, I am pretty sure EVERY religion does that and in that regard the JW are no worse or better than the rest.

As for the passage in question:

A New and Living Way

19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

There is no reason to take assembling together as meeting in the synagouges ( which is where they would have met being Hebrew) but there is nothing that says it CAN'T be take that way, well, other than the writer saying:

"our OWN assembling together" which pretty well makes it clear that the writer is speaking of something BEYOND what is done with OTHERS.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    to crack down on all would-be seditious groups a mandate was passed prohibiting the gathering together of 3 or more people in groups.

Sounds like somewhere in California these days, eh, dear Awen (the greatest of love and peace to you!)? It is true that there was paranoia on the part of the Roman's; however, that would include "gathering" of the Jews, as well... would it not?... which continued until at least the destruction of the temple (in 70CE).

This is supposedly why Paul included this admonition, reminding Christians to render Caesar's things to Caesar but God's things to God.

Yet, the letter wasn't written (by Paul or anyone else) to the "christians", but supposedly to the "Hebrews". This would include more than just the Jews, but NOT the non-Israelite christians. Why not do as he (Paul, the apostle "to the nations") normally did... and write to the "holy ones" (Jews first, then those of the 10-tribe kingdom of Israel who accepted Christ - Romans 1:7; 11:13)... AND "faithful ones/brothers"... "the congregation of/in"... etc.? "Paul" identifies himself/is idenitified in the opening of every other letter... even those to individuals. As is/do Peter, James, John [the Elder], and Jude. Even the Apostle John identified himself in the Revelation (1:9).

The "first" letter "of John" (which is actually the only letter of THIS writer included in the canon - the "second" and "third" are NOT by this same writer)... and the letter to the Hebrews, however, do not identify their writer. Both of these, however, start in the SAME way... as the gospel according to "John"... with information and wording that appears cryptic, but would have made sense to the HEBREWS... due to the features of the Old Law and its priesthood, temple, prophets, etc.

Anyway, just some things to consider.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If I recall correctly, Hebrews was attributed to Paul because the oldest copy was found along with other letters of Paul.

May well be a case of simply attributing a letter with no name to the person of which it was part of a collection.

• iclone
    iclone

Next time I submit a post I will do a much better job of proof reading. Sorry for the "faux pas" of attributing Paul as the writer of Revelation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit