Amanda Knox & Raffaele Sollecito have been FREED

by dm6 29 Replies latest social current

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

"In the first trial, prosecutors maintained that Knox's DNA was found on the knife's handle and Kercher's DNA was found on the blade. They also say Sollecito's DNA was found on the clasp of Kercher's bra, mixed with the victim's."

This was the sole issue upon which the prosecution rested its case, which it why it NEVER would have seen the light of day in an American court, and probably not in a UK, Canadian, or Australian court.

JT---This statement is just not true! There are cases every day that are prosecuted in the American court systems that have as little or less evidence. Sometimes people are convicted on circumstantial evidence. I know this first hand, as I work as a court reporter in a court. You'd be shocked at how little evidence it takes for a crime to be prosecuted.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I think that Justitia's point was that the prosecution didn't have anything else. What that bit of DNA proved was that the two of them had been in the house. Duh! They lived there.

The prosecution had no circumstantial evidence upon which to rest a case. No motive, nobody that could put Knox at the scene of the crime etc. In order to believe the prosecutor you have to believe that this college student with no history of trouble, or involvement with the occult or odd religions suddenly joined a satanic cult and hacked her roommate to death.

I'm not buying it.

Watched her get off the plane, I'm glad she's home, I hope everybody leaves the family alone for awhile. They've been through enough.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

You'd be shocked at how little evidence it takes for a crime to be prosecuted. Sometimes people are convicted on circumstantial evidence.

Circumstantial evidence is still valid evidence. If a prosecutor presents a large enough quantum of circumstantial evidence, the State can prevail.

This case lacked circumstantial AND physical evidence. In short, NOTHING tied Knox and Sollecito to the crime. Not a lot surprises me QuestioningEverything. I was a paralegal for ten years, I am second-year law student, who will be interviewing with the prosecutor's office tomorrow at 11:30, and my daughter is a prosecutor. ...lot's of legal stories in this family.

BTW, if people across the pond want to PM instead of responding on this thread re: the unaswered questions, I'm fine with that. I just heard another confusing statement. Meredith's brother said something like..' if these two people didn't kill Meredith, then who did?' Rudy Guede (sp?) killed Meredith. What is the brother saying? Do they think Rudy didn't kill Meredith?

P.S. JeffT is correct in his assessment of what I was saying.

• Berengaria
  • sizemik
    sizemik

Just to be clear . . .

My comment on them not being 100% innocent doesn't necessarily translate into committing the act and spreading their DNA all over the crime scene.

Complicity doesn't necessarily even require physical participation.

The fact is . . . she changed her story . . . so she lied.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

"In order to believe the prosecutor you have to believe that this college student with no history of trouble, or involvement with the occult or odd religions suddenly joined a satanic cult and hacked her roommate to death."

She wouldn't be the first person with no criminal history to completely snap and commit a horrific crime....Susan Smith, Andrea Yates, Darlie Routier, John List, Scott Peterson are just a few examples.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I don't think many people would rent an apartment with Amanda. Just saying.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Having seen the italian justice system in action once ( and that was MORE than enough) I can see how thise could have happened.

Police far to often are pressured to close very public cases and with minimal evidence they go far too much on "instinct" than they should.

Of course for a "college community" in which a murder has accured, it is far more "stable" to show it as an " inside job" that is very isolated, than that there may be a potential psycho-murderer on the lose.

Having done an "anti-interogation" course in the military and seen some very strong people fold under the pressure, I take "confessions" under extreme deress with a HUGE grain of salt.

• dm6
    dm6
    I don't think many people would rent an apartment with Amanda. Just saying.

Thats where your wrong my man, i certainly would ;) ;) ;)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If you've read "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)" you will understand that even a confession is not really reliable because of the way police interrogations work. Certainly changing the story - especially when being interrogated in a second language - is not unexpected. I'd be more suspicious if she had everything perfectly consistent from start to end, every single time she was asked. That would be evidence that she rehearsed the story too well.

(apologies for pimping one of my favorite books. . . again and again and again; it's just that good :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit