Victoria, Australia: WTBTS and GB of JWs have shown themselves to be "GUILTY" respecting previous noncompliance with “Working With Children” Laws

by AndersonsInfo 38 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

The Watch Tower Society, the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, the Faithful and Discreet Slave, and the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, last week issued a "special" letter to ALL Bodies of Elders in the State of Victoria instructing them to immediately apply for their Working with Children licenses and to comply with child protection laws. The letter includes instructions that the contents are not to be made public or shared with members of the congregation.This means an investigation authorized by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses and initiated by lawyers representing the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, Inc. have concluded that the Victorian Working with Children Act 2005 and the associated child protection laws DO INDEED APPLY to all elders serving in congregations throughout the State of Victoria both in the public ministry and in their internal ministry, which includes the Theocratic Ministry School.Compliance with the Working with Children laws became compulsory for "religious organizations" within the State of Victoria on July 1, 2008.The Watch Tower Society refused to comply stating they did not have Sunday Schools, although full well knowing that non-compliance is a criminal offence.

As a direct result of their refusal to comply, criminal charges were officially filed on July 26, 2011 in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, Australia, against the entire worldwide religious and corporate hierarchy of the church of Jehovah’s Witnesses.These charges allege ongoing breaches of the Victorian Working with Children Act 2005 as it applies to “religious organizations.”

An initial 35 criminal charges, alleging breaches of mandatory child protection laws, were individually filed against the following corporations and bodies as named in the court documents:

Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses (7 charges)
    Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania (7 charges)
    Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Australia (7 charges)
    Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses (7 charges)
    Faithful and Discreet Slave (7 charges)
    Each of the 35 charges carries a fine of up to Au$144,000 and a criminal conviction.

The next court hearing date is scheduled for October 11, 2011.
    All of the "accused" legally and religiously, form part of the Committee of Management for the Religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the State of Victoria.All charges are in relation to allegations of unlawful activities carried out within the Tarragon Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses by the entire Body of Tarragon Congregation Elders. In addition, there are approximately between 100-150 other sets of charges pending in relation to every single congregation in the State of Victoria.

All current members of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses are also facing potential arrest and charging in relation to each alleged offence as they “knew of, or knowingly authorized or permitted, the commission of the offence."Prior to, and continually after, the July 1, 2008 deadline for compliance, the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses were repeatedly notified that their appointed representatives and elders were engaging in working with children in breach of the Victorian Working with Children laws within their internal ministry in every single Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in the State of Victoria. They were also notified that the Watch Tower Society refused to comply.Regardless of being repeatedly notified, the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses continued to permit the commissioning of the offences.Charges of "lawlessness" and "sin" have been brought against the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses within the congregation, by members of Jehovah's Witnesses, over their Governing Body's refusal to comply with child protection laws.No investigation commenced and the entire case was shut down by Watch Tower lawyers.Steven Unthank has now been vindicated in forcing the Watch Tower Society and the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses to comply with child protection laws.It is worth noting that the only reason individual elders within the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses in the State of Victoria were not personally arrested and criminally charged in relation to alleged breaches of the Working with Children laws, was solely because of positive action taken by Mr. Unthank to protect these very elders and their families by having the corporations charged and not the individual "ministers of religion."For all it's worth, this legal action and maneuver on Mr. Unthank's part has prevented untold needless suffering upon members of the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses.For successfully taking this stand to protect these individual elders, and all children within the Victorian community (via the Public Ministry) and all children within the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses in the State of Victoria (via the Internal Ministry), Steven Unthank is now referred to as being "mentally diseased" and a "criminal" by members of Jehovah's Witnesses--the very same men, women, and children he has protected.

Consequently, the Victorian Human Rights Commission has commenced a formal investigation in relation to these statements by Jehovah's Witnesses under the categories of "religious vilification" and "inciting religious hatred." Now, however, we patiently wait to see if the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses will plead "guilty" on October 11, 2011 at their next scheduled court appearance?

• nateb
    nateb

Thanks for this information.

They want it both ways. They fight for legal recognition and then they act like they're above the law. Not surprising. This is how they treat the sheep. They want to dictate and control the minutiae of the lives of their followers but act as if they share no responsibility for then ruining them with false predictions and capricious regulations about everything from marital intimacy to medical procedures and selective service.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I think this is great. However if the elders commited a crime by not following the laws that makes them criminals. Therefore I dont understand why Mr. Unthank protected those criminals.... if they broke the law the must face the consequences of their actions.... "to cesar what is to cesar"

thats my opinion.

No mercy with criminals... they had no mercy with him... and he is not a criminal

• Spectre
    Spectre

I got a bit of a chuckle at the amount of the fine.

• Pig
    Pig

I wonder if any elders some back and say "ahhh, I couldnt get one.......ah yeah something to do with drink drive before I was a JW"

If any elders are stood down over the next few weeks be suspicouse.

But really, I think these checks are stupid. I doubt they have reduced child abuse anywhere.

But still, forcing the WT to comply against their will is always good

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Great news! I wish that the USA and other countries would follow suit with their own versions of "Working with children" laws. It would save a lot of children from abuse. Of course they had to add that the letter is not to be made public or read by others in the Congregations. It shows how deceitful and sneaky they are and how they don't want the word to get out that they broke the law. They have no shame.

I too thought that the fine amount of $144,000 was hilarious! How fitting!

Thank you very much for the update!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Thank you so much, Barbara, for the update! Wow, you have been busy, girl, covering all these issues!

I so look forward to October 11 to see how this continues there. Clearly, Caesar wants to protect the children more than Governing Body do.

It will be very interesting how fines and charges are determined. I would think the elders are sweating it out also. It's true, the GB, and other WT headquarter corporation members have accountability primarily in all this. However, it's time for elders to get a crisis of conscience in their accountability too, and to personally question to themselves to what degree they should just obey the GB, branch overseers, COs and DOs. Like it is said, unless they're hit in the pocketbook, then they won't care.

Maybe some of the rank and file will start to question this reality in Victoria, and then follow with the chain reaction to question many more issues. Hopefully the newspapers will have a good exposure about the WTS.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

It would be nifty if someone could post a copy of that letter to elders... the rush to comply letter...

MeanMrMustard

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I second MeanMrMustard's notion of posting the letter. Would love to read that one.

• hotspur
    hotspur

It just goes to show how detached from reality the elder has become. It would've bothered me no end back in 2008 that I may need to comply with this law and yet, it appears, the 'instruction from above' was to ignore it and carry on as normal - whatever normal is to these charlatans.

Can I use 'charlatans' or is it similar usage to 'mentally diseased'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit