Worst Bible Verse ... EVER

by Wild_Thing 19 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty
    "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, (400 years ago) how he set himself against him on the way while he was coming up from Egypt. (400 years ago) 'Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'" - 1Sam.15:3
  • Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y

There's a couple of real "fliers" in the OT, some just plain stupid. I remember reading from the Pidgin bible at meetings and assemblies just to break the boredom. Nothing beats John 3:16 in Pidgin.

• Ezekiel 23:20 Common English Bible (CEB)

20 She lusted after their male consorts, whose sexual organs were like those of donkeys, and whose ejaculation was like that of horses.

• Numbers 31:17-18 International Children’s Bible (ICB)

17 Kill all the Midianite boys. Kill all the Midianite women who have had physical relations. 18 But save the girls for yourselves who are virgins.

• Deuteronomy 23:1 Good News Translation (GNT)

23 “No man who has been castrated or whose penis has been cut off may be included among the Lord's people.

• Deuteronomy 23:2 Good News Translation (GNT)

2 “No one born out of wedlock or any descendant of such a person, even in the tenth generation, may be included among the Lord's people.

• Deuteronomy 14:21 International Children’s Bible (ICB)

21 Do not eat anything you find that is already dead. You may give it to a foreigner living in your town. He may eat it. Or you may sell it to a foreigner. But you are holy people. You belong to the Lord your God. Do not cook a baby goat in its mother’s milk.

• 1 Samuel 5:9 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

9 and it cometh to pass after they have brought it round, that the hand of Jehovah is against the city -- a very great destruction; and He smiteth the men of the city, from small even unto great; and break forth on them do emerods.

• Mark 14:51-52 Hawai‘i Pidgin (HWP)

51 Had one young guy wit one lavalava on, an he go wit Jesus. 52 Dey wen grab him, an he drop da lavalava an run away naked.

• John 3:16 Hawai‘i Pidgin (HWP)

16 “God wen get so plenny love an aloha fo da peopo inside da world, dat he wen send me, his one an ony Boy, so dat everybody dat trus me no get cut off from God, but get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    The whole thing. It is about us being enslaved. Also, it exalts Israel--blatantly, and through the whole book (yet, when you try and point that out, someone calls "Anti-Semitism! Get the ADL to sue them!"--yet they still insist on using the LIE-ble as "the good book"). The whole book is full of hate speech. Against the Gentiles--including appointing a times for Gentiles. Against women. Against homosexuals. Against intelligent people, most of who do not want to be enslaved.
  • rocketman
    rocketman

Many verses are going to look bad when examined in the light of Western cultural values. Back then, I would think, much of what we consider outrageous seemed quite normal.

One problem that many have with the Bible - and it may well be a very valid criticism- is that the Bible seldom, if ever, lifts itself above the cultural norms of the day.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

First ... Hawaii Pidgin is awesome! Thanks for that!

Second ... the cruelest and most violent acts are, of course in the OT, but whenever I point out any of those things that are written in the OT, my JW family pulls the ... "yeah, but we are not under the Mosaic Law anymore" and completely miss the point. And I have always wondered and wanted to ask them, "If we WERE still under the Mosaic Law, does that mean you would stone your kids to death if they disobeyed you because the bible says so?" I am afraid the answer would be "yes".

• kaik
    kaik
    My since childhood was I. Timothy 5:3 through 16. Especially attack on widows, and some of them just do not make sense like making younger widows get married and have children by arbitrary age 60. Entire chapter is deeply misogynistic and hypocritical.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I pointed that out to my mom once, and asked her if thats to be part of the God given rules why are we not today observing it? she gave a lame answer, and i told her its becasue men back then viewed women as second class citizens, then she went off about all the 'good women' one who has a bible book names after her.

I said so then we can have our own view on whats proper to observe now ? so then why do we need the bible to tell us whats good and bad?

she changed the subject.lol

it is held by bible scholars researchers and the like,

[in which were quoted from in several books i have read about bible writings by bart ehrman and others]

that those were added in later by someone copying or translating. its all ancient man made rules.

doesn't it seem odd that all of the sudden that off topic statement just inserts itself there? I always thought so.

its the best place the jerk could place it. paul did not write many of those anyway, nor did Matthew mark Luke or john write theirs.

I also found a scripture repeated on the following chapter, lol,

[cant recall which one right off hand] but i know which place it did belong, made no sense where it was the first time. lol.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

These verses only become a problem for people who believe that the Bible has some relevance in the 21st Century.

Taken as Literature of its time, it is not surprising to come across the misogynistic attitudes etc.

For example, the Pastoral letters, which include 1 & 2 Timothy, were more than likely written around 100 C.E, way after the death of Paul by many decades. The Christians at the time were aware that the promises had not been fulfilled, and so a tightening of control was needed, it was thought, by the writer/s of these missives.

Much like the JW Org of today, many are aware that they have been waiting far too long for the "End", and so the G.B tightens control, and screams for "obedience".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Bugger; Simon beat me to it.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

I have to agree with many of the Old Testament scriptures as being horrific. I've had a lot of Christian's argue that the OT is not really relevant, we don't focus on that one now, it's the Jewish Bible, etc. so I am going to take a scripture from the New Testament. One I find particularly revulsive is:

Matthew 10:35: "For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law". - NIV

Yes, Jesus, the new convenant, the 'nicer' god, is gonna break up families. What a dick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit