Rethinking Sexual repression?

by PSacramento 19 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

IF (a big if here) that were a legitimate concern (I don't think it is, i think it is fear mongering)... then the obligation of an equal society would be to involve and seek the assistance of women in finding and implementing a solution. If that means having more children, then that is their decision to make and implement.

Otherwise, what an equal society is trying to 'keep out' is the VERY thing that it is seeking to become. The 'other' guys already won. Become the enemy to defeat the enemy? Isn't that what happened to poor Annakin?

Peace,

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Tammy has light sabred the correct and force choked it into submission while finding the lack of faith that some people have in women, disturbing !

;)

• tec
    tec

LOL

• techdotcom
    techdotcom

Those of you who are taking offense... The author was saying that the reallity of how humans behave would select societies that promoted some sort of sexual inequality, and that this was a bad thing. Not that he was saying "we have to get rid of sexual equality or we are doomed!". I also don't agree. I am of the opinion that the factors involved in making a society a success are a bit more complex than being primarily driven by reproductive strategy. I will conceede that it might be a prominent factor for a civilization in the early growing stages but not necessarilly for one that has matured or is in decline.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

LOL, PSacramento!

I enjoyed your article immensely. Don't mind the criticism. Most people don't dig into a subject that deeply and a lot of it goes over their head. Personally, and speaking strickly from a practical standpoint, I think your conclusions are dead on.

T'would be nice to get together and share ideas.

Tom

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Tom, It isn't my article.

I posted the link to the website in question.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I found this all interesting as I livein one of those 'sexually repressive' middle east countries. Women here are marrying later than before and are better educated. The birth rate IS falling. The male/female thing that was mentioned before-women as breeders, men as fighters, is nothing short of ridiculous, however. Whatever you all think culturally of how things operate here in practical ways, women are revered in Islamic society IMO. Not always does this reflect as it SHOULD, however, but that is based on backwards culture (think America, 1955). The mother is the most respected person on EARTH, after God. And as to sexual repression etc-well, virgins are a nice idea, but men in this country, which is about 5 men to ever woman, are happy to just have a WIFE-and yes, women hold out here. And they are given a gift at marriage-this does not depend on their virginity, btw, it depends on the man's ability and finances (Muhammed(pbuh) was said to have paid the same mahr for all of his wives and many of them were widowed/divorced, so go figure).

I will say that sex is NOT treated as a 'contact sport' here. Men and women in Islam generally do not even so much as touch hands before they are married. I will also say that this does not make for a bad marital relationship (ok, personal note there). Most so called Islamic countries do not hold that tight to the teachings, so I don't know how that translates elsewhere-the Muslim nations in the former USSR are basically only Muslim in name only. When people from thosecountries come here, they basically need to learn how to even pray, reading the Quran is not something they ever have done. They are as Muslim as many nominal Christians are Christian. Which is to say, they have a word to check off when their religion is asked. They might know when Ramadan is (probably not).

Girl babies are valued as much as boy babies. I have not seen anyone regret their girl, and there is a specific rule in the Quran that speaks about not killing girl babies, as the culture of Arabia (and still in many places) held that girls were without value. Totally against the teachings of Islam to do so-selectively breeding for boys is not something that could be done here as it is in the India or China(not sure if China allows that anymore-they have a girl shortage).

Anyway, there is still cultural issues here that I take great issue with, but I do not think that sexual repression (as to breeding practices) is something that hurts these women-and their children. Folks, ultimately, the sexual practices that encourage 'promiscuity' do hurt the next generations in ways that are innumerable and documented.

• tec
    tec

The male/female thing that was mentioned before-women as breeders, men as fighters, is nothing short of ridiculous, however.

I meant for it to be ridiculous. I was being sarcastic. That is why I said 'this is what I hear from him'.

Sorry that was misunderstood.

I'm glad you brought in your personal 'I'm here' view though. That doesn't get represented very often.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I see one major flaw in the argument

It supposes that the only reason men and women marry is for sex. It leaves out companionship and love and a desire for commitment to family even if procreation isn't a consideration. It also ignores financial considerations - cheaper to maintain 1 residence than two. Many men still want someone to take care of them even if the division of labor in the home is not based on a 1950s model.

People are still getting marrid. Many are just doing it later.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Ah the free market. supply and demand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit