Mind Control & Urban Legends

by freeman 15 Replies latest jw friends

• out4good3
    out4good3

"Since leaving the organization, my BS detector is on a hair-trigger setting, and I demand proof of almost anything I am told."

Chuck D ...I know what you mean. And after learning more about the borg itself and mind control in general since finding this site, my BS detector also has that hair trigger setting.

I was recently helping my wife with something and I realized how much the WTS indoctrinating has crippled her thinking. When she talks about the WTS she constantly repeates the same old dribble that they all do with such arrogance air it's almost laughable. Any talk of the WTS had better be positive or you're quickly accused of nitpicking or splitting hairs; both of which the borg does in grand style. But when I was helping her with this "task" which I'd helped her do over and over again a day before, it was is I was with a child leading her the whole way. I knew she knew what she was doing, but she didn't have the confidence to do it without looking to me for answers every step of the way. Such as it is with JW's. They spend their whole life being lead around by the nose from the "ole men in Brooklyn" where every decision is strained through the congregation elders and what's best for the congregation, losing any ability to think for themselves.

• freeman
    freeman

After leaving the Borg, I too have discovered that my BS detector has a hair trigger setting. I think it really stems from the fact that I don’t ever want to be lied to and fooled again. I was never like this before; I have changed because of this experience.

At times I wish it didn’t have such a hair trigger, as it tends to get me into many arguments. Of course I generally win the argument because I do the research and I am absolutely confident in my facts. Quite often the other person has nothing of substance to backup what they are saying and so the argument goes down hill from there. At some point we both know I won and the argument is terminated, sometimes abruptly.

I don’t like it when that happens; who wants to be correct all the time if it means alienating people. So now I find that I really have to watch myself and really pick my battles and only argue when it really matters. You know, in writing this and reflecting on this problem I have, I see once again how screwed up this cult can make people, myself being the prime example. Did I mention I HATE THIS CULT!!!

Freeman

• Scully
    Scully

ashitaka writes:

in the 20 years I was in, I never had one experience.

I have one experience that stands out. I never really talked about it until after leaving the JWs, though. I just didn't want the attention it might have drawn.

When I was in Grade 6, Mrs. C. was the math teacher for my class. The following year, she was our homeroom teacher. She hated the Witnesses, and made no secret of it. Whenever a JW related issue came up, she made a point of doing her level best to humiliate me in front of the whole class, and while I never shed a tear in her class, there were days that I would go home bawling because of her abuse. If my classmates were observing someone's birthday and I declined to participate, she would dump my desk's contents onto the floor and make me clean it all up. If we were in assembly and had to sing "O Canada!" she would not let me be excused, so I would have to sit quietly as my parents expected, but Mrs. C. would march up behind me and grab the hair at the nape of my neck and pull me to my feet. It was a weekly event, these assemblies, and no matter how I tried to get my parents to help me, they said it was 'Satan testing me' or 'persecution for being one of God's people'.

After a few months of this weekly torture (she could force me to stand but she could not force me to sing!), a few of my classmates told me that they didn't like what Mrs. C. did to me and they had an idea to make her stop, but they wouldn't tell me what it was. I told them that I didn't want them getting in trouble because of me, and that if what they were planning to do would get them in trouble, then not to do it.

The Friday morning assembly convened, and when the instruction came to stand for "O Canada!", as usual, I remained seated. I felt the familiar painful yank on the hair at the nape of my neck as Mrs. C. hauled me to my feet and held me there. Then, one by one, my classmates looked over at me and sat down. When the anthem was finished and the Lord's Prayer had been said the teacher dragged me to the Principal's Office and accused me of instigating the protest that my classmates had engineered on my behalf. The Principal asked the teacher what I had done to "make" them sit down during the anthem, and the teacher claimed that my sitting quietly was disruptive to the class and made the rest of the class follow suit. Then the Principal asked for my side of the story. I said how I had instructions from my parents to either be excused from the opening exercises at assembly or to remain quietly seated during the anthem and prayer, and that was the expectation of JW children. I said how I had asked to be excused, but was not given permission by Mrs. C. and that when I tried to sit quietly, she pulled my hair to make me stand up. The Principal looked at the back of my neck and it was red and swollen and there was a patch of hair missing. The Principal asked me to go out of her office and wait in the chairs, that she wanted to talk to Mrs. C. privately.

Several minutes went by... it seemed like hours in 'kid time'.... and then the teacher left, giving me the dirtiest look she could muster. The Principal took her place for the next two weeks. Turns out Mrs. C. got herself suspended for what she had done to me, and if it hadn't been for the solidarity that my classmates showed on my behalf, the abuse would have continued for several more months until school let out for the summer. Mrs. C. never bothered me again about anything, especially anything that was JW-related.

Love, Scully

In the desert things find a way to survive. Secrets are like this too. They work their way up through the sands of deception so men can know them. - The X Files

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

How wonderful that the "worldy" kids found a way to help you when your parents wouldn't. Hmm makes one wonder about their whole theory of being tested

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

Now Scully, that story is district convention worthy!

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Hey interesting thread Freeman.

Scully, way cool story, and yes if you would have told someone about that in the dubs it would probably have gotten spread around and embellished so much that it would hardly be believable.

The other thing I wanted to add to this thread is the phenomena of "group think." When people are associated with a group of peers that they respect and trust it does amazing things to their ability to become objective. We see examples of this all the time in "mob mentality" where people get all stirred up over certain events. We see it in mass hallucinations where people swear they see the same event happen and there actually is nothing happening out of the ordinary. In fact the effect is much like being under hypnosis and people become very suggestible.

I call recall many groupthink urban legends I’ve heard when I was a dub and when I later tried to research them to give a reference to someone else there was no factual basis for the stories or it was completely distorted. You can pretty much bet that any “amazing” story that is floating around in dubland that sounds like supernatural intervention is more of a case of supernatural imagination.

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit