Anti-Cultists are a cult

by proplog2 32 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel. Arguments about atheism, chronology, trinity, evolution can go on forever.

I like to bring up positions that are unpopular on this forum because most of the people here have given up their examination of certain issues assuming that they have "NOW" got the REAL TRUTH.

The lack of critical thinking that is the cause of involvement in off-beat religions can lead to gullibility in other areas. The stupid knee-jerk accusations I got when I attacked the molestation issue is typical. The attitude is that if you defend the accused you must share their philosophy. The same with the matter of "cults". Hassan, Singer and other so-called experts are in the "business" of getting people out of "cults". The checklists they provide are quite similar to the checklist handed out by AA. They are written to net the largest number of candidates.

For those who are interested in getting another view of the anti-cult movement I submit the link below. Please read it. Check out the references. Explore the whole site.

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/cultsect/brainwash/davis.htm#Anti-Cult%20Assumptions%20About%20Self

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Proplog2: You stated,

"I like to bring up positions that are unpopular on this forum because most of the people here have given up their examination of certain issues assuming that they have "NOW" got the REAL TRUTH."

I don't think that is a fair assessment of "most" people on this forum. It is not a matter of believing we now have the Real Truth ... but more a matter of what we now know to be false ... the Watch Tower religion.

"The lack of critical thinking that is the cause of involvement in off-beat religions can lead to gullibility in other areas."
    I agree that when one fails to exercise "Critical" thinking it can lead to problems. I saw a woman on TV once who left the Jim Jomes People's Temple movement, and then turned around to join the Baghwan Shree Rajneesh movement in Oregon. She merely jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

"The stupid knee-jerk accusations I got when I attacked the molestation issue is typical. The attitude is that if you defend the accused you must share their philosophy."
    The fact that people debated with you does not mean that they were acting in knew-jerk fashion, or failing to use critical thinking. The problem is that you were in the minority on the issue, and I likewise disagree with your position on the molestation issue.

"The same with the matter of "cults". Hassan, Singer and other so-called experts are in the "business" of getting people out of "cults". The checklists they provide are quite similar to the checklist handed out by AA."
    Self-abusing, addicitive-complusive and enabling behavior runs across several things in life ... abusive marriages, abusive gangs, drug use and abuse, pimps abuse of hookers, etc. Thus, it should be no surprise that abusive religious environments would bare many similar characteristics that you cite. Yep! You make the case in favor of certain religions being cults.

"They are written to net the largest number of candidates."
    You need to exapnd on your point here. I think I know where you are headed with this statement, but I want to be sure and request that you provide some more on why you say this.

"For those who are interested in getting another view of the anti-cult movement I submit the link below. Please read it. Check out the references. Explore the whole site."
    Fair enough. I will do that.
  • accuracy
    accuracy

Interesting reading! It appears that the theology of the anticultists is just as loaded with hype and hypocrisy as is the theology of the cultists. No need for facts and logic; just paint every enemy with the same broad brush. A strategy convenient and simplistic. And filled with holes.

• mikepence
    mikepence
    I agree that when one fails to exercise "Critical" thinking it can lead to problems. I saw a woman on TV once who left the Jim Jomes People's Temple movement, and then turned around to join the Baghwan Shree Rajneesh movement in Oregon. She merely jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Kind of like going from being a JW to being a Christian, Amazing?

• ianao
    ianao

Oh this thread is making my sides hurt. I can't believe how people get so damn trapped in games of words.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Amazing:

I have no problem with people who point out the fallacies of religions. To me the foundation of all god-based religion is false. That's my oppinion and it is shared by about 10% of the American Population.

There is no need for the concept of "cult". Its purpose is to scare people into hiring exit managers. In fact the motive behind a lot of the cult scare is the idea that "cults" are "satanic". In fact you will often hear people combine those terms "satanic cult".

The cult scare doesn't sharpen peoples critical thinking abilities. It is a big hopper to throw "garbage". Once again people rely on others to do the thinking for them. The checklists give you the illusion that you are thinking. I've been in sales. And I've done scientific research. I know the difference between the two.

• butalbee
    butalbee

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

• mikepence
    mikepence

Well stated, Proplog. Which is why I did a search and replace on a Steven Hassan quote in another thread, replacing the word 'cult' with 'religious group'...and the lengthy quote still rang true.

( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=21561&site=3)

• proplog2
    proplog2

Mikepence:

I thought that was your intent but I don't think the others on that thread caught it.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    I like to bring up positions that are unpopular on this forum because most of the people here have given up their examination of certain issues assuming that they have "NOW" got the REAL TRUTH.

Every time someone says they can violate the laws of gravity, I point out that I have the REAL TRUTH about gravity and disagree with them.

(Some subjects can have a resolution to truth, or with so much evidence in favor of them as to be nonsensical to believe otherwise.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit