Best answer to "What prevents you from getting baptized?"

by venusinfauxfurs 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venusinfauxfurs
    venusinfauxfurs

The nosy elder at the congregation i attend until i can get out very soon (just quickly: born in, was headed towards unbaptized pub but changed my mind about that and baptism) pulled me aside and showed me the scripture about coming across the body of water and asking "what prevents me from getting baptized" and I really want a quick, preferably smart-ass reply the next time he puts me on the spot like that.

Fire away!

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

The only example of an age for baptism being mentioned in the Bible is that of Jesus. He was 30, the age of being a legal adult back then.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Plain and simple: I don't want to get baptized as a Jehovahs Witness, thank you.

• angel.face
    angel.face

Hi!

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here myself ;)

First thing that comes to mind is (if you are under 18) :

'I appreciate how our publications bring out that baptism is the most important step in ones life. I am not old enough to get married and I feel that I am not mature enough to get baptized. I really strive to follow Jesus example as he waited until he was past the bloom of youth to get baptized.'

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What prevents you from getting baptized?

"I'm following Jesus example closely, and he wasn't baptized until he was 30 years old." (Assuming you are not 30 yet.) To think I am better than Jesus would seem to be presumptuous.......

(1 Peter 2:21) . . .In fact, to this [course] YOU were called, because even Christ suffered for YOU, leaving YOU a model for YOU to follow his steps closely. . .

You did ask for a "smart ass" reply, right?

More politically correct reply: "Jesus said you must [serve] God with our whole heart, soul, strength, and mind....and am not able to say with good conscience that I can truly do that just yet.....but it is the goal I am striving to achieve.:

(Luke 10:27) 27 In answer he said: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole strength and with your whole mind,. . .

I really like AngelFace's answer too!

DOC

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

''i appreciate your concern about me, i also love Jehovah with all my heart, but i am not yet ready to dedicate my life to him"

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Im severely allergic to water. Everytime I accidentally get some on me, my lungs shut down, I break out in hives, and need an adrenaline shot.

Welcome to the forum!

Paula x

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hydrophobia.

edited to add: Followed by Theophobia.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Smart ass reply?

"I am concerned about the wording of the JW-baptism vow. Evidently, I would be commiting myself to an organization, which is something not found anywhere in the scriptures."

• sir82
    sir82

"Thank you for your concern. Surely you would agree that I should only be baptized when I have 'made the truth my own', right? Well I'm not at that point yet."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit